2004-01-21 Best of the Web Today
- Date: 2004-01-21
- Author: James Taranto
- Source: Wall Street Journal
- Topics: USA PATRIOT Act dissent is disloyalty
- URL: http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110004584
- Title: Best of the Web Today
- Summary: a potpourri of news items, including "The al Qaeda Cheering Section" in which Taranto equates dislike of the Patriot Act with being fond of terrorists.
a potpourri of news items, including "The al Qaeda Cheering Section":
The most telling moment in last night's speech came after the president noted that "key provisions of the Patriot Act are set to expire next year." In response, notes the New York Times, "some critics in Congress applauded enthusiastically." If Osama bin Laden watched the speech, one imagines him applauding too.
Actually, no, Osama is not known for being in favor of civil rights, and would probably be dismayed by the setback after such a promising initial crackdown. Fortunately, he needn't have worried (speaking of "appeasement").
|Author||James Taranto +|
|Page type||Link +|
|Publication||Wall Street Journal +|
|Summary||a potpourri of news items, including "The al Qaeda Cheering Section" in which Taranto equates dislike of the Patriot Act with being fond of terrorists. +|
|Thing type||Article +|
|Title||Best of the Web Today +|
|Topic||USA PATRIOT Act + and Dissent is disloyalty +|
|When posted||21 January 2004 +|
This property is a special property in this wiki.