2008-12-12 Climate denial as a phishing scam
Climate denial as a phishing scam?
As discussed in the my last two posts U.S. Senate Minority Leader Inhofe released a list of 650 "skeptic scientists". The 650 included the bogus 400 from his previous attempt to push this fraud. One of those 400 is one R.L. Casey (here and here), Director of the "Space and Science Research Center".
Some of you may recall that this organization was the source of last July’s Press Release "The Space and Science Research Center Issues A Formal Declaration: Global Warming Has Ended – The Next Climate Change to A Pronounced Cold Era Has Begun" based on a mysterious "RC Theory".
This major scientific work, issued as a word document, was a hoax so transparent a child would not believe it. Needless to say it was immediately gobbled up by the Denialosphere, quite a number of whom swallowed it whole (eg here).
The "Space and Science Research Center" is a website and that’s about all. The head offices of the "Research Centre" are a rental mail box and answering machine. However, this plucky little enterprise "provides research and study products tailored to meet the requirements of SSRC customers", for a price.
When he’s not too busy down at the old Space and Science, Mr Casey is with Verity Management Services as his day job. In fact Mr Casey is a very busy boy.
From the forum Thumpertalk:John L. Casey appears to be a real individual with a history of creating factious fundraising organizations which only exist on paper, dummy Internet websites, mailing drops and telephone answering services. The biggest venture may have been “Casey Aerospace Corporation” a space tourist company and was seeking a capitalization of $50 million. Some of the organizations associated with this individual include the following.</p>Needless to say "RC Theory" is a bunch of gibberish with pasted tables from NASA etc, apparently created to phish in Deniers who have more dollars then sense.
- "Space and Science Research Center" SpaceAndScience.net (Active website)
- "Global Foundation for Sustained Development" GFSDevelopment.org (Domain in premature deletion)
- "International Space Science Fund" ISSFonline.org (Domain controlled by squatter since 2006-12-14)
- "Afghan Women And Children Fund" AWACF.org (Domain released after 2005-03-13)
- "The Iraq Women And Children Fund" IWACF.org? (Domain not verified)
- "Fideligent Corporation" Fideligent.com (Released about 2006-04-02)
- "Verity Management Services Inc." (VMS) (No website found)
- "Casey Aerospace Corporation" caseyaero.com (Domain released before 2000)
 shorter text
“John L. Casey appears to be a real individual with a history of creating factious fundraising organizations which only exist on paper, dummy Internet websites, mailing drops and telephone answering services.”