Terrorism is the commission of acts of violent destruction for political purposes. The intent is to cause intense personal fear (terror) in members of some specific population so that they will put pressure on their leaders to take actions desired by the terrorists.
 Distinguishing Characteristics
In order to qualify as terrorism, acts must have at least one of the following attributes:
- repeated attempts to kill or violently injure
- major or violent destruction of property
- the inducement of a feeling of fear (in the target population) that danger is imminent
 Other uses
The word "terrorist" is often used as a label in the mainstream media to indicate that "these are people you should hate and fear", even when the acts in question do not even remotely fit the definition of "terrorism". The originator of the Liberty Dollar, for example, was found guilty by a federal jury of conspiracy against the government in a case of “domestic terrorism” – for making coins.
People who commit genuine acts of terror against civilians -- real terrorists -- are, as often as not, doing so to discredit the movement with which they claim affiliation, for political motives, i.e. many acts of terror are false flag; a "Muslim terrorist" may in fact be working for anti-Muslim interests.
People who commit acts of violence directed at state-owned resources are also called terrorists, but these acts are often intended not to terrorize the public but to hinder the actions of an oppressive state.
- Domestic terrorism is terrorism used by citizens within their own country.
- Terrorism is an often-used tool of the weaker side in asymmetric warfare.
- war on terror
- 2011-07-22 2011 Norway attacks
- 2005-07-07 7/7 (London)
- 2001-09-11 9-11 (New York City)
- 1995-04-19 Oklahoma City bombing
- 1993-02-26 1993 WTC bombing (New York City)
 Thwarted Plots
- 2011-07-18 [L..T] Cousin admits role in NYC subway terror plot A cousin of admitted terrorist Najibullah Zazi publicly revealed for the first time Monday that he was in on Zazi's chilling 2009 plot to attack New York City subways with suicide bombers.
- 2005-07-08 [L..T] Root, Root, Root for the Bomb Team “That's right, the Times is complaining that "wealthy nations have not done enough about the root causes of terrorism"!”
 version 2
No links filed yet for topic “Terrorist”. [refresh]
 To Be Filed
- 2007-10-15 Philly 9/11 Truth confronts former Terrorism Analyst Jonathan Schanzer, embedded video with commentary. Goes into some history regarding the CIA, the ISI, the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, and some other issues. Schanzer's claim that Hamas and Al Qaeda are making money (to buy weapons) by running schools and doing charity work seems a bit bizarre, given that schools are generally nonprofits (at least in the US; does the system in the Middle East make it possible for schools and charities to be profit centers? If so, how?) and even schools where students must pay for tuition typically need regular large donations just to keep running. "Making money doing charity work" also seems counterintuitive, although possible; I think we would need to see a lot more evidence and details to accept this as a means by which terrorists are raising money. On the other hand, of course, the argument he is arguing against ("well, so they're terrorists, but they also do a lot of good, so it all balances out...") is itself rather bogus.
- 2006-11-08 Thames bomb horror by Fiona Hudson: "A British Muslim plotted to murder tens of thousands in a series of spectacular attacks using radioactive bombs and a petrol tanker, a court heard yesterday.