Issuepedia is the encyclopedia of issues, analysis, thought, and opinion. As with Wikipedia, anyone can edit; unlike Wikipedia, we encourage opinions and rants as well as carefully considered analysis and purely factual writing. More...
As of 16:34 UTC on Wednesday, January 16, 2019, Issuepedia has 5,078 articles.
- 2017-10-29 Issuepedia has been moved to a new server, and finally supports https!
- 2016-11-16 Issuepedia's database is now over 15 gigabytes. I'm not sure how much of that is spam (and reversions of same), but still...
- 2016-01-20 MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.26.2, in the hope that this would resolve some errors. It didn't really, so I eventually had to block AhRefsbot, which was overloading the system and ignoring my changes to robots.txt. Sorry, guys, I can't wait 2 weeks for your bots to slow down. (Also upgraded SMW to v2.3.)
- 2015-10-31 MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.25.3. SCARY!!!
Did You Know
...that at least 24.1% of the United States*, including most of most of Washington DC, is behind walls of unofficial, unaccountable censorship rather like the so-called Great Firewall of China? (*Verizon 8.8%, Comcast 15.3%) Update: In 2010, a federal appeals court ruled that this is ok. past editions
- 2018-08-30 [L..T] Offering a more progressive definition of freedom Pete Buttigieg is the mayor of South Bend, Indiana. He is a progressive Democrat, Rhodes scholar, served a tour of duty in Afghanistan during his time as mayor, and is openly gay. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Buttigieg talked about the need for progressives to recast concepts that conservatives have traditionally “owned” – like freedom, family, and patriotism – in more progressive terms.
- 2018-08-30 [L..T] Beaten for Autism? The person filmed by KGW News on June 4 being struck on the head 16 times by a Marion County sheriff deputy while pinned down by three additional officers says the incident may be partly understood as the response of uninformed individuals to people they don’t understand.
- 2018-08-16 [L..T] Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents and young adults: A study of parental reports In on-line forums, parents have been reporting that their children are experiencing what is described here as “rapid-onset gender dysphoria,” appearing for the first time during puberty or even after its completion.
- 2018-08-09 [L..T] Protester Maimed by Portland Police: ‘I Thought I Was Going to Die’ Anthony, who asked to be identified only by his first name, was injured last weekend when cops in riot gear unleashed flashbangs, pepper spray, rubber bullets and other less-lethal weapons as local protesters demonstrated against far-right groups massed downtown.
- 2018-08-07 [L..T] Protesters clash with guards at Portland City Hall; 2 arrested Protesters demanding reforms in police use of crowd control clashed with security officers at Portland City Hall after Mayor Ted Wheeler shut down a Wednesday morning City Council meeting.
- 2018-08-06 [L..T] Portland Police Chief: Allegations Of Protest Favoritism 'Ridiculous' "Everything that was anticipated ... with the very clear intent of what people wanted to do, with the level of confrontation and violence that they were expecting to bring, that did not occur. The officers were there and they prevented all of that from happening."
- 2018-08-04 [L..T] IGD Portland: Mass Community Mobilization Against Far-Right Live blog from antifascist mobilization in Portland, Oregon.
- 2018-08-04 [L..T] Portland's Patriot Prayer Rally Could Be Most Violent Since Charlottesville, Activists Say Armed, proto-fascist gangs are set to rally in Portland, Oregon, this weekend, stirring fears that the city could witness the kind of political violence not seen since the deadly white supremacist “Unite the Right” event in Charlottesville, Virginia, nearly a year ago.
- 2018-07-17 [L..T] Top Voting Machine Vendor Admits It Installed Remote-Access Software on Systems Sold to States “The nation's top voting machine maker has admitted in a letter to a federal lawmaker that the company installed remote-access software on election-management systems it sold over a period of six years, raising questions about the security of those systems and the integrity of elections that were conducted with them.”
- 2018-07-06 [L..T] Director’s Desk: Portland has criminalized poverty and mental illness “Now we know: More than half of the people arrested in Portland last year were homeless. [...] The ACLU of Oregon issued a report last year documenting 224 laws around the state that target people who are homeless. It identified laws that target people for sleeping in public places, for begging for money and for loitering. In other words, ACLU of Oregon researchers identified laws that matter only if you are homeless.”
- 2018-07-04 [L..T] Sheriff's office called on Oregon state legislator for representing constituents while black “"Casing" the neighborhood by knocking on doors and having extended conversations with the homeowners, carrying only a phone, a pen, and some leaflets. Bynum appears to have, sadly, taken it in stride. "It was just bizarre," she told and Oregonian reporter. "It boils down to people not knowing their neighbors and people having a sense of fear in their neighborhoods, which is kind of my job to help eradicate. But at the end of the day, it's important for people to feel like they can talk to each other to help minimize misunderstandings." Indeed. Had the woman who called the cops—it was a woman—simply engaged with Bynum, problem solved.”
- 2018-07-01 [L..T] Right-Wing Portland Rally Declared Riot Amid Clashes With Antifa Protesters A rally in Oregon sponsored by the right-wing group Patriot Prayer turned violent on Saturday as demonstrators clashed with anti-fascist protesters, who showed up in opposition to the event.
- 2018-06-30 [L..T] Portland Police Declare a Riot After Right-Wing Marchers Begin Beating Antifascists with Flag Poles “For the first time in more than a year of street brawling, Portland police today deemed a march by Proud Boys and other right-wing protesters too violent to continue.”
- 2018-06-27 [L..T] Portland Police Saw Right-Wing Protesters as "Much More Mainstream" Than Leftist Ones “Newly released draft reports from a city review of how Portland police handled dueling demonstrations last summer reveal cops admitting what activists have long suspected: They saw right-wing protesters as less of a threat than leftist ones.”
- 2018-06-22 [L..T] Woman who set self on fire in Portland park remembered as 'brilliant and tortured' artist “The 31-year-old woman walked on crutches into a downtown Portland park. Minutes later, she set herself on fire. Bystanders put out the fire that consumed Chloe Sagal, but she died from her injuries. It was an act, witnesses and friends say, that was a political protest as well as a suicide.”
- 2018-06-06 [L..T] Portland Police Chief Danielle Outlaw on protests, trust and learning her new city "The mix-up proved to be a quick, hard lesson for Outlaw on Portland's unusual commission form of government. Mayor Ted Wheeler, who also serves as police commissioner, doesn’t have the final say on decisions like this. He must wade through established city procedures and gain majority support on the City Council."
- 2018-02-15 [L..T] Transgender Women Aren't "Women" "I wanted to talk about the fact that I personally find it kind of offensive when transgender people don't own the fact that they're trans." Video is Tweeted, and much debate ensues.
- 2018-01-15 [L..T] Arsonist TERF thinks trans women are immoral & should be beaten "I’m quite prepared to threaten violence because it seems to me that politically what they’re seeking to do is piss on all women. That’s what they’re doing for their personal gratification. There aren’t many of them, but what really offends me is the extent to which academia and political parties have listened to them in a way that they’re not listening to us as women." – Linda Bellos
- 2017-09-04 [L..T] The Purge Of Transgender People From American Life Has Begun “Five members of Trump's evangelical executive advisory board, including the founder of the Family Research Council James Dobson, signed the Nashville Statement. The Nashville statement dictated that transgender people should not be tolerated in society, and that anyone who tolerates them is not a Christian.”
- 2017-09-01 [L..T] How Russian & Alt-Right Twitter Accounts Worked Together to Skew the Narrative About Berkeley “The narrative surrounding last weekend’s protests in Berkeley took shape on social media and was picked up, at least in part, by mainstream news outlets. The result was a skewed presentation of events that was almost entirely devoid of the context in which they took place. Even more troubling: that narrative was influenced by pro-Russian social media networks, including state-sponsored propaganda outlets, botnets, cyborgs, and individual users.”
- 2017-09-01 [L..T] The Idiot Boys of Antifa and the Alt-Right “A lot of what’s happened over the last 10,000 years can be attributed to hormonally charged young men pulling stupid crap.”
- 2017-08-31 [L..T] Preacher Aligned with Portland-Area Far-Right Group Promises “Bloodshed” at Future Rallies “Portland resident and far-right preacher Allen Pucket has penned an inflammatory Facebook post promising violence at future protests, possibly including the upcoming "Freedom March" and counter-protests slated to envelop downtown Portland on Sept. 10..”
- 2017-08-31 [L..T] The Right Wing 'God Will Wipe Them Out': White Supremacist Preacher Promises 'Bloodshed' at Future Rallies “In a video, Pucket also said that “God’s going to wipe them out one day anyway,” referring to anti-racist and anti-fascist counter-protesters who have marched against white supremacist groups in recent months. He also professed a belief that those who organize such rallies shouldn’t cancel them for fear of violent retaliation, but should be “patriots” willing to “fight” in the streets for their white supremacist beliefs.”
- 2017-08-19 [L..T] The truth has got its boots on: what the evidence says about Mr. Damore’s Google memo a detailed rebuttal of the supposedly-scientific arguments supporting Damore's arguments; includes links to many other rebuttals and related resources
- 2017-08-13 [L..T] Damore's Claim There Are Population-Level Differences Between the Genders Is Not The Central Problem With His Manifesto. “In response to the Damore manifesto, "Heterodox Academy", a group that includes multiple political points of view, posted that the scientific evidence is strong that there are population-level differences between the genders. However, the bare assertion that there are population-level differences between the genders is not the central problem with Damore's manifesto.”
- 2017-08-11 [L..T] We've studied gender and STEM for 25 years. The science doesn't support the Google memo. “These are some issues that males simply do not have to face. The "anxiety gap" exists for a reason, and it is not about biology.”
- 2017-08-11 [L..T] From a logical point of view ... “To translate this into practical language, if the Google Manifesto was correct, then you would expect to see that Google was full of mediocre female employees, who had been hired by a process biased in their favour despite being inadequate to the task. Whatever the author of the manifesto thinks, Google does not believe this to be the case and as far as I can tell from industry blogs, it isn’t – female employees in tech are generally very good. This would, of course, be consistent with the hypothesis that the current selection process is biased against them.”
- 2017-08-10 [L..T] Google town hall meeting canceled after days of online harassment “The cancellation of the town hall meeting caps off nearly a week of escalating anxiety around the targeted harassment of various Google employees. Very shortly after Motherboard first reported the existence of a controversial memo circulating inside Google, the memo's author was identified as James Damore. (Damore was fired on Monday). Since then, various corners of the internet have targeted Googlers who have been openly critical of the memo.”
- 2017-08-10 [L..T] James Damore's shoddy defense “I keep getting told that James Damore loves diversity. It’s the first thing he says in his manifesto. [...] Simply put, Damore's conclusions are not backed up by the scientific consensus.”
- 2017-08-09 [L..T] Sorry, Google memo man: women were in tech long before you “James Damore's controversial manifesto says women are genetically unsuited to tech roles. Doesn't he know they were the original computer programmers?”... further results