Issuepedia is the encyclopedia of issues, analysis, thought, and opinion. As with Wikipedia, anyone can edit; unlike Wikipedia, we encourage opinions and rants as well as carefully considered analysis and purely factual writing. More...
As of 21:06 UTC on Wednesday, June 3, 2020, Issuepedia has 5,177 articles.
- 2017-10-29 Issuepedia has been moved to a new server, and finally supports https!
- 2016-11-16 Issuepedia's database is now over 15 gigabytes. I'm not sure how much of that is spam (and reversions of same), but still...
- 2016-01-20 MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.26.2, in the hope that this would resolve some errors. It didn't really, so I eventually had to block AhRefsbot, which was overloading the system and ignoring my changes to robots.txt. Sorry, guys, I can't wait 2 weeks for your bots to slow down. (Also upgraded SMW to v2.3.)
- 2015-10-31 MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.25.3. SCARY!!!
Did You Know
...that at least 24.1% of the United States*, including most of most of Washington DC, is behind walls of unofficial, unaccountable censorship rather like the so-called Great Firewall of China? (*Verizon 8.8%, Comcast 15.3%) Update: In 2010, a federal appeals court ruled that this is ok. past editions
- 2019-11-14 [L..T] Multnomah County Seeing Spike In People Experiencing Chronic Homelessness “[Marc Jolin, the director of the Joint Office of Homeless Services], said the office already knows what the solution is. "The fact that we don’t have supporting housing is why we’re seeing a persistent increase in the chronically homeless over time," he said.”
- 2019-11-03 [L..T] Rabidly pro-Trump fake news site Epoch Times may be engaging in astroturfing “on Thursday, religious right activist Jim Garlow took to Facebook to confirm what a lot of people suspected – the most rabid fundies believe rolling back abortion and marriage equality are so important that they must go all-in for Trump. [..] Garlow took part in a gathering of Trumpvangelicals at the White House on Tuesday, and included a link to coverage of that gathering from an outfit known as "The BL". [...] a search turned up a Snopes investigation from October that revealed some too-close-for-comfort ties between BL and Epoch Times.”
- 2019-10-29 [L..T] [Serious Discussion] Attracting a higher homeless population with Durham's Affordable Housing Plan? “With a proposed $10,455,838 (pg. 4 in the referendum) to be spent on homeless programs over the next 5 years, how do we protect Durham from attracting an even greater number of homeless people?”
- 2019-10-29 [L..T] The Long Shadow of the 'Welfare Queen' “When Ronald Reagan and his advisors wanted to undermine the very institution of social programs, he turned to a news story out of Chicago – the tale of one Linda Taylor, who'd bilked the government benefits system out of so much money she was dubbed the "welfare queen."”
- 2019-10-28 [L..T] Facebook allows prominent right-wing website to break the rules “The Daily Wire, the right-wing website founded by pundit Ben Shapiro, is a cesspool of misogyny, bigotry, and misinformation. Its toxic content is also fantastically successful on Facebook, with each story reaching more people than any other major media outlet. A Popular Information investigation reveals some of this success is attributable to a clandestine network of 14 large Facebook pages that purport to be independent but exclusively promote content from The Daily Wire in a coordinated fashion.”
- 2019-10-28 [L..T] Protests Continue Against Neo-Confederates in North Carolina “Anti-racists continue to mobilize in North Carolina against neo-Confederate and white nationalist groups, with this weekend seeing two more arrests on the anti-racist side.”
- 2019-10-28 [L..T] James Patrick Shillinglaw, Identity Evropa/American Identity Movement, Jamestown, North Carolina “Asheville Anti-Racism exposed James Patrick Shillinglaw, of Jamestown, North Carolina, as a member of white nationalist group Identity Evropa, recently renamed the American Identity Movement.”
- 2019-10-28 [L..T] Jeremy Bertino, Proud Boy in Charlotte, North Carolina “Jeremy Bertino, of Locust, North Carolina, was exposed as a Proud Boy this week after rallying in Pittsboro, North Carolina.”
- 2019-10-28 [L..T] Victory over the worst gerrymander in modern history: Court blocks North Carolina GOP's House map “On Monday, a bipartisan panel of state court judges delivered a monumental victory against the worst gerrymander in modern history when it blocked North Carolina from using its Republican-drawn congressional map in the 2020 elections, clearing the way for a fairer replacement that could see Democrats pick up three or more seats.”
- 2019-10-21 [L..T] Statement on GitLab "The MoodleNet team use products and services from GitLab Inc. to develop the MoodleNet code base. We were therefore disappointed to learn of a recent decision by GitLab Inc. to change their policies around who they will and will not do business with."
- 2019-10-20 [L..T] Amazon is shipping expired food, from baby formula to old beef jerky, scaring consumers and putting big brands at risk “...items are arriving spoiled and well past their sell-by date, Amazon customers say. Interviews with brands, consumers, third-party sellers and consultants all point to loopholes in Amazon’s technology and logistics system that allow for expired items to proliferate with little to no accountability.”
- 2019-10-17 [L..T] Inside TurboTax's 20-Year Fight to Stop Americans From Filing Their Taxes for Free “Using lobbying, the revolving door and "dark pattern" customer tricks, Intuit fended off the government's attempts to make tax filing free and easy, and created its multi-billion-dollar franchise.”
- 2019-09-12 [L..T] Why the neurodiversity movement has become harmful The movement has good intentions, but it favours the high-functioning and overlooks those who struggle with severe autism.
- 2019-08-05 [L..T] Will Durham’s business community support the city’s $95M affordable housing bond? ““A generation of opportunity” could be lost if voters don’t approve Durham’s $95 million affordable-housing bond this fall, [local businessman Steve Toler] said Monday.”
- 2019-04-22 [L..T] Here's How TurboTax Just Tricked You Into Paying to File Your Taxes "Did you know that if you make less than $66,000 a year, you can prepare and file your taxes for free? No? That’s no accident. Companies that make tax preparation software, like Intuit, the maker of TurboTax, would rather you didn’t know."
- 2019-02-26 [L..T] What You Need to Know About the Largest Proposed Housing Bond Referendum in North Carolina History "In [Mayor Steve Schewel's] view, the city's current funding for affordable housing isn’t enough to keep downtown from becoming an expensive enclave for white people. If residents are serious about preventing displacement, they need to put their money where their mouths are."
- 2018-08-30 [L..T] Offering a more progressive definition of freedom Pete Buttigieg is the mayor of South Bend, Indiana. He is a progressive Democrat, Rhodes scholar, served a tour of duty in Afghanistan during his time as mayor, and is openly gay. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Buttigieg talked about the need for progressives to recast concepts that political conservatives have traditionally “owned” – like freedom, family, and patriotism – in more progressive terms.
- 2018-08-30 [L..T] Beaten for Autism? The person filmed by KGW News on June 4 being struck on the head 16 times by a Marion County sheriff deputy while pinned down by three additional officers says the incident may be partly understood as the response of uninformed individuals to people they don’t understand.
- 2018-08-16 [L..T] Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents and young adults: A study of parental reports In on-line forums, parents have been reporting that their children are experiencing what is described here as “rapid-onset gender dysphoria,” appearing for the first time during puberty or even after its completion.
- 2018-08-09 [L..T] Protester Maimed by Portland Police: ‘I Thought I Was Going to Die’ Anthony, who asked to be identified only by his first name, was injured last weekend when cops in riot gear unleashed flashbangs, pepper spray, rubber bullets and other less-lethal weapons as local protesters demonstrated against far-right groups massed downtown.
- 2018-08-07 [L..T] Protesters clash with guards at Portland City Hall; 2 arrested Protesters demanding reforms in police use of crowd control clashed with security officers at Portland City Hall after Mayor Ted Wheeler shut down a Wednesday morning City Council meeting.
- 2018-08-06 [L..T] Portland Police Chief: Allegations Of Protest Favoritism 'Ridiculous' "Everything that was anticipated ... with the very clear intent of what people wanted to do, with the level of confrontation and violence that they were expecting to bring, that did not occur. The officers were there and they prevented all of that from happening."
- 2018-08-04 [L..T] IGD Portland: Mass Community Mobilization Against Far-Right Live blog from antifascist mobilization in Portland, Oregon.
- 2018-08-04 [L..T] Portland's Patriot Prayer Rally Could Be Most Violent Since Charlottesville, Activists Say Armed, proto-fascist gangs are set to rally in Portland, Oregon, this weekend, stirring fears that the city could witness the kind of political violence not seen since the deadly white supremacist “Unite the Right” event in Charlottesville, Virginia, nearly a year ago.
- 2018-07-17 [L..T] Top Voting Machine Vendor Admits It Installed Remote-Access Software on Systems Sold to States “The nation's top voting machine maker has admitted in a letter to a federal lawmaker that the company installed remote-access software on election-management systems it sold over a period of six years, raising questions about the security of those systems and the integrity of elections that were conducted with them.”
- 2018-07-06 [L..T] Director’s Desk: Portland has criminalized poverty and mental illness “Now we know: More than half of the people arrested in Portland last year were homeless. [...] The ACLU of Oregon issued a report last year documenting 224 laws around the state that target people who are homeless. It identified laws that target people for sleeping in public places, for begging for money and for loitering. In other words, ACLU of Oregon researchers identified laws that matter only if you are homeless.”
- 2018-07-04 [L..T] Sheriff's office called on Oregon state legislator for representing constituents while black “"Casing" the neighborhood by knocking on doors and having extended conversations with the homeowners, carrying only a phone, a pen, and some leaflets. Bynum appears to have, sadly, taken it in stride. "It was just bizarre," she told and Oregonian reporter. "It boils down to people not knowing their neighbors and people having a sense of fear in their neighborhoods, which is kind of my job to help eradicate. But at the end of the day, it's important for people to feel like they can talk to each other to help minimize misunderstandings." Indeed. Had the woman who called the cops—it was a woman—simply engaged with Bynum, problem solved.”
- 2018-07-01 [L..T] Right-Wing Portland Rally Declared Riot Amid Clashes With Antifa Protesters A rally in Oregon sponsored by the right-wing group Patriot Prayer turned violent on Saturday as demonstrators clashed with anti-fascist protesters, who showed up in opposition to the event.
- 2018-06-30 [L..T] Portland Police Declare a Riot After Right-Wing Marchers Begin Beating Antifascists with Flag Poles “For the first time in more than a year of street brawling, Portland police today deemed a march by Proud Boys and other right-wing protesters too violent to continue.”
- 2018-06-27 [L..T] Portland Police Saw Right-Wing Protesters as "Much More Mainstream" Than Leftist Ones “Newly released draft reports from a city review of how Portland police handled dueling demonstrations last summer reveal cops admitting what activists have long suspected: They saw right-wing protesters as less of a threat than leftist ones.”... further results