Issuepedia is the encyclopedia of issues, analysis, thought, and opinion. As with Wikipedia, anyone can edit; unlike Wikipedia, we encourage opinions and rants as well as carefully considered analysis and purely factual writing. More...
As of 14:15 UTC on Monday, July 16, 2018, Issuepedia has 5,052 articles.
- 2017-10-29 Issuepedia has been moved to a new server, and finally supports https!
- 2016-11-16 Issuepedia's database is now over 15 gigabytes. I'm not sure how much of that is spam (and reversions of same), but still...
- 2016-01-20 MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.26.2, in the hope that this would resolve some errors. It didn't really, so I eventually had to block AhRefsbot, which was overloading the system and ignoring my changes to robots.txt. Sorry, guys, I can't wait 2 weeks for your bots to slow down. (Also upgraded SMW to v2.3.)
- 2015-10-31 MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.25.3. SCARY!!!
Did You Know
...that at least 24.1% of the United States*, including most of most of Washington DC, is behind walls of unofficial, unaccountable censorship rather like the so-called Great Firewall of China? (*Verizon 8.8%, Comcast 15.3%) Update: In 2010, a federal appeals court ruled that this is ok. past editions
- 2018-07-06 [L..T] Director’s Desk: Portland has criminalized poverty and mental illness “Now we know: More than half of the people arrested in Portland last year were homeless. [...] The ACLU of Oregon issued a report last year documenting 224 laws around the state that target people who are homeless. It identified laws that target people for sleeping in public places, for begging for money and for loitering. In other words, ACLU of Oregon researchers identified laws that matter only if you are homeless.”
- 2018-07-04 [L..T] Sheriff's office called on Oregon state legislator for representing constituents while black “"Casing" the neighborhood by knocking on doors and having extended conversations with the homeowners, carrying only a phone, a pen, and some leaflets. Bynum appears to have, sadly, taken it in stride. "It was just bizarre," she told and Oregonian reporter. "It boils down to people not knowing their neighbors and people having a sense of fear in their neighborhoods, which is kind of my job to help eradicate. But at the end of the day, it's important for people to feel like they can talk to each other to help minimize misunderstandings." Indeed. Had the woman who called the cops—it was a woman—simply engaged with Bynum, problem solved.”
- 2018-06-30 [L..T] Portland Police Declare a Riot After Right-Wing Marchers Begin Beating Antifascists with Flag Poles “For the first time in more than a year of street brawling, Portland police today deemed a march by Proud Boys and other right-wing protesters too violent to continue.”
- 2018-06-27 [L..T] Portland Police Saw Right-Wing Protesters as "Much More Mainstream" Than Leftist Ones “Newly released draft reports from a city review of how Portland police handled dueling demonstrations last summer reveal cops admitting what activists have long suspected: They saw right-wing protesters as less of a threat than leftist ones.”
- 2018-06-22 [L..T] Woman who set self on fire in Portland park remembered as 'brilliant and tortured' artist “The 31-year-old woman walked on crutches into a downtown Portland park. Minutes later, she set herself on fire. Bystanders put out the fire that consumed Chloe Sagal, but she died from her injuries. It was an act, witnesses and friends say, that was a political protest as well as a suicide.”
- 2018-06-06 [L..T] Portland Police Chief Danielle Outlaw on protests, trust and learning her new city "The mix-up proved to be a quick, hard lesson for Outlaw on Portland's unusual commission form of government. Mayor Ted Wheeler, who also serves as police commissioner, doesn’t have the final say on decisions like this. He must wade through established city procedures and gain majority support on the City Council."
- 2017-09-04 [L..T] The Purge Of Transgender People From American Life Has Begun “Five members of Trump's evangelical executive advisory board, including the founder of the Family Research Council James Dobson, signed the Nashville Statement. The Nashville statement dictated that transgender people should not be tolerated in society, and that anyone who tolerates them is not a Christian.”
- 2017-09-01 [L..T] How Russian & Alt-Right Twitter Accounts Worked Together to Skew the Narrative About Berkeley “The narrative surrounding last weekend’s protests in Berkeley took shape on social media and was picked up, at least in part, by mainstream news outlets. The result was a skewed presentation of events that was almost entirely devoid of the context in which they took place. Even more troubling: that narrative was influenced by pro-Russian social media networks, including state-sponsored propaganda outlets, botnets, cyborgs, and individual users.”
- 2017-09-01 [L..T] The Idiot Boys of Antifa and the Alt-Right “A lot of what’s happened over the last 10,000 years can be attributed to hormonally charged young men pulling stupid crap.”
- 2017-08-31 [L..T] Preacher Aligned with Portland-Area Far-Right Group Promises “Bloodshed” at Future Rallies “Portland resident and far-right preacher Allen Pucket has penned an inflammatory Facebook post promising violence at future protests, possibly including the upcoming "Freedom March" and counter-protests slated to envelop downtown Portland on Sept. 10..”
- 2017-08-31 [L..T] The Right Wing 'God Will Wipe Them Out': White Supremacist Preacher Promises 'Bloodshed' at Future Rallies “In a video, Pucket also said that “God’s going to wipe them out one day anyway,” referring to anti-racist and anti-fascist counter-protesters who have marched against white supremacist groups in recent months. He also professed a belief that those who organize such rallies shouldn’t cancel them for fear of violent retaliation, but should be “patriots” willing to “fight” in the streets for their white supremacist beliefs.”
- 2017-08-19 [L..T] The truth has got its boots on: what the evidence says about Mr. Damore’s Google memo a detailed rebuttal of the supposedly-scientific arguments supporting Damore's arguments; includes links to many other rebuttals and related resources
- 2017-08-13 [L..T] Damore's Claim There Are Population-Level Differences Between the Genders Is Not The Central Problem With His Manifesto. “In response to the Damore manifesto, "Heterodox Academy", a group that includes multiple political points of view, posted that the scientific evidence is strong that there are population-level differences between the genders. However, the bare assertion that there are population-level differences between the genders is not the central problem with Damore's manifesto.”
- 2017-08-11 [L..T] We've studied gender and STEM for 25 years. The science doesn't support the Google memo. “These are some issues that males simply do not have to face. The "anxiety gap" exists for a reason, and it is not about biology.”
- 2017-08-11 [L..T] From a logical point of view ... “To translate this into practical language, if the Google Manifesto was correct, then you would expect to see that Google was full of mediocre female employees, who had been hired by a process biased in their favour despite being inadequate to the task. Whatever the author of the manifesto thinks, Google does not believe this to be the case and as far as I can tell from industry blogs, it isn’t – female employees in tech are generally very good. This would, of course, be consistent with the hypothesis that the current selection process is biased against them.”
- 2017-08-10 [L..T] Google town hall meeting canceled after days of online harassment “The cancellation of the town hall meeting caps off nearly a week of escalating anxiety around the targeted harassment of various Google employees. Very shortly after Motherboard first reported the existence of a controversial memo circulating inside Google, the memo's author was identified as James Damore. (Damore was fired on Monday). Since then, various corners of the internet have targeted Googlers who have been openly critical of the memo.”
- 2017-08-10 [L..T] James Damore's shoddy defense “I keep getting told that James Damore loves diversity. It’s the first thing he says in his manifesto. [...] Simply put, Damore's conclusions are not backed up by the scientific consensus.”
- 2017-08-09 [L..T] Sorry, Google memo man: women were in tech long before you “James Damore's controversial manifesto says women are genetically unsuited to tech roles. Doesn't he know they were the original computer programmers?”
- 2017-08-08 [L..T] No, the Google manifesto isn't sexist or anti-diversity. It's science “Despite how it's been portrayed, the memo was fair and factually accurate. Scientific studies have confirmed sex differences in the brain that lead to differences in our interests and behaviour.”
- 2017-08-08 [L..T] Conservatives Outraged After Google Fires Engineer Whose 'Manifestbro' Says Women Biologically Less Suited for Leadership “Conservatives, especially those who seemingly don't understand the First Amendment or concepts of free speech, are outraged.”
- 2017-08-08 [L..T] The Guy Who Wrote the 'Google Memo' Just Might Sue “The former Google employee who was fired after posting a missive criticizing the company's diversity efforts calls his dismissal illegal and says he is "exploring all possible legal remedies."”
- 2017-08-08 [L..T] The free speech absolutists have a martyr in James Damore “James Damore, the author of that dumbass Google manifesto, has been fired. Now he wants to sue Google, and all the usual suspects are howling about “Free Speech!” [but] It's absurd. This really isn’t a free speech issue.”
- 2017-08-06 [L..T] What differentiates a good engineer from a clueless ignoramus? “Have you read the manifesto published internally at Google that has thrown many people into a tizzy? It’s amazingly stupid. Yet another blinkered male engineer babbling about his biases as if they are factual.”
- 2017-08-05 [L..T] So, about this Googler’s manifesto. “You have probably heard about the manifesto a Googler (not someone senior) published internally about, essentially, how women and men are intrinsically different and we should stop trying to make it possible for women to be engineers, it’s just not worth it.”
- 2017-08-05 [L..T] Exclusive: Here's The Full 10-Page Anti-Diversity Screed Circulating Internally at Google (Updated) Article reports the full text of the memo, minus some graphics and links. “I value diversity and inclusion, am not denying that sexism exists, and don’t endorse using stereotypes. When addressing the gap in representation in the population, we need to look at population level differences in distributions. If we can’t have an honest discussion about this, then we can never truly solve the problem.”
- 2017-04-17 [L..T] VIDEO: Pro-Trump Oregon Street Preacher Kicks Guy at Crazy Berkeley Rally “The man wearing a "JESUS WILL JUDGE YOU" sweatshirt while kicking a person on the ground – standing next to a noted white supremacist sucker punching a woman in the face – is antagonistic Oregon street preacher Allen Wesley Pucket. He traveled with his associates down to Berkeley, California, on Saturday for a pro-Donald Trump "Patriot Day" rally that turned violent]. ”
- 2017-04-06 [L..T] Breitbart publishes multiple anti-Kushner stories in the wake of Steve Bannon's NSC ouster As Media Matters notes, Breitbart published four negative stories about Kushner on the same day that news broke that Bannon was out at the NSC.
- 2017-04-05 [L..T] Bannon threatened to quit if removed from National Security Council role: report Chief White House strategist Stephen Bannon was unhappy with the decision to remove him from his role on the National Security Council and threatened to quit, according to a new report.
- 2017-04-05 [L..T] Kushner Hires Hollywood PR Exec To Help Run White House Campaign To Privatize Government Functions The Office of American Innovation is intended to be non-partisan and is working with several industry leaders such as Elon Musk, Tim Cook, and Bill Gates to make government more efficient and forward-looking. Trump won the presidency in part because he promised to bring an entrepreneurial style to the White House.
- 2017-03-30 [L..T] I worked for Jared Kushner. He’s the wrong businessman to reinvent government. That same obsession with the tech world permeates Kushner's new project. Cost-cutting is important in situations where there is excess, but it is not what catalyzes evolution; if the point here is to make government more effective, not just more efficient, cuts alone won’t do it.... further results