Jump to navigation Jump to search
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
- link: http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/90659/debt-ceiling-obama-congress
- source: New Republic
- date: June 24, 2011 12:00 am
- author: Matthew Zeitlin
- title: The Debt Ceiling: Why Obama Should Just Ignore It
- summary: The argument goes like this: Because Congress already appropriated the funds in question, it is the executive branch's duty to enact those appropriations. The debt ceiling, then, is legislative "double-counting," because the executive branch is obligated to spend the money Congress appropriates, without having to go back and ask again for permission.
- topics: 2011 US debt ceiling US/separation of powers