- when: 2014/03/08
- author: Anthony W. Orlando
- source: Huffington Post
- topics: Obamacare US Republican Party Orrin Hatch Tom Coburn Richard Burr
- link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-w-orlando/republicans-want-to-repla 1 b 4926292.html
- title: Republicans Want to Replace Obamacare With...Obamacare-Lite?
- summary: Ever since Barack Obama signed the Affordable Care Act on March 23, 2010, the Republicans in Congress have tried to repeal it. This week's vote was their 50th attempt.
And yet, despite their unyielding opposition, their earnestness rings hollow to most Americans for the simple reason that they have not offered an alternative path to health care reform. Even the party's own strategists have chastised it for its negative approach, for failing to offer a plan of their own, for obstructing rather than leading.
Finally, their pleas have been answered -- in the form of the Patient Choice, Affordability, Responsibility, and Empowerment Act or "PCEREA," sponsored by Republican Senators Orrin Hatch, Tom Coburn and Richard Burr.
At long last, we can answer the simple question that Democrats have been asking Republicans since March 23, 2010: You got a better idea?
Unfortunately, the answer is a disappointing "no."