Conservatism in America
The Heritage Foundation [W], an American conservative think-tank, states a belief "in individual liberty, free enterprise, limited government, a strong national defense, and traditional American values. We want an America that is safe and secure; where choices (in education, health care and retirement) abound; where taxes are fair, flat, and comprehensible; where everybody has the opportunity to go as far as their talents will take them; where government concentrates on its core functions, recognizes its limits and shows favor to none. ... we believe the values and ideas that motivated our Founding Fathers are worth conserving." This would seem to be a reasonable definition of the best attributes of American conservatism.
A cornerstone of American Conservative philosophy is personal responsibility – the idea that each individual is solely responsible for his/her own well-being; government exists solely to ensure that the rules are enforced, which includes protection from hostile external forces.
American Conservatives seem to be generally against "big government": "The government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have." -- attributed to Gerald Ford 
During the presidential administration of George W. Bush, the use of the term "Neocons" has re-emerged to describe a certain offshoot of conservatism whose adherents are outwardly conservative but in practice somewhat (sometimes completely) at odds with some of conservatism's basic tenets; see Bush Neoconservative.
Conservative and Fundamentalist Groups
- Conservapedia: "pro-American, pro-Christian" alternative to Wikipedia
- The Heritage Foundation
- John Locke Foundation (North Carolina)
- Patriot Post "The Conservative Journal of Record"
- American Conservative: skeptical Conservatism
- Redstate: "conservative news and community"
- Conservative Christian
- Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC)
- Council of Conservative Citizens (MO) (Wikipedia)
- Liberty University - e.g. Dress Code for Women
- American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property
- Patriarchy.org (VA): "addressing the issues and legalism of patriarchy with the liberating truth of Jesus Christ"
- Parody Sites
- Wikipedia: Conservatism in North America