I'm thinking seriously about the idea of commercially exploiting Issuepedia, just a little. I'm a little concerned that this will hurt its credibility, but the benefits could be major. As I said extemporaneously in chat, "I think this issue hinges a great deal on the question of how people are likely to react. If, say, you find a site which you think is trying to fight for truth, justice, and the Vulcan Way, is it seriously off-putting to find that they're also trying to make a little money on the side? Or is it understood that even Vulcans gotta pay the rent?" Input and discussion of this is welcome.
Promotional ideas include:
Mugs, t-shirts, bumper-stickers, whatever, with clever slogans on them (and the issuepedia URL)
- Religion: it's a choice, not a lifestyle
- this echoes the "homosexuality is a choice, not a lifestyle" anti-gay slogan, but "not a lifestyle" still doesn't make sense -- a lifestyle is a choice -- so is there a better word?
- SOLSTICE: The Reason For The Season
- WILLFUL IGNORANCE: The One True Sin (picture of book-burning, or some creationism icon...)
- I am NOT under god (or I am NOT "under God")
- "Think Back!" (like "fight back", only there probably need to be more words to establish that context -- like "think back against oppression!")
- related: "outthink despotism" or "outthink authoritarianism"
- (large letters:) THINK (smaller letters, underneath) Don't just do what the coffee mug tells you.
- or "Tired of taking orders from your coffee mug? [new line] http://issuepedia.org"
- Join The First Church of Who! Because...
- Who really cares.
- Who really cares about you.
- Who really gives a damn how you feel!
- Martin Luther quotes about religion
- "biased towards reality"
- "anti-ignorance. pro-sanity."
- "No More Stupid Soundbites!"
- "Please do pay attention to the man behind the curtain. – Issuepedia" or "Issuepedia: Paying attention to the man behind the curtain since 2005."
- series of quotes about the imminent arrival of Jesus, starting in 100AD...
- "ask me about..." genre of bumper-stickers
- "if you like ___, follow me home"
This wouldn't help so much with promotion, but might make it possible for me to spend more time/energy improving Issuepedia. Have to look at the site stats to get some idea. This idea is a distant second at best.