The music industry is currently undergoing some major upheavals, but even before that it had Issues.
Radio promotion is an example of a Power Structure. Radio station owners are given incentive to choose the playlists, rather than allow DJs to pick music solely on merit, because this gives the station greater ability to negotiate with record labels for paybacks. (See, for example: Smash Hits; as recently as August, 2005, Clear Channel radio station "The River" was mentioning such perks in their campaign to attract new advertising representatives.)
- The Role of Content Brokers in the Era of Free Content by Larry Sanger: a model for how artists can get paid while distributing their works for free
- A Rancid Amoeba: writings
- Janis Ian: writings on a lot of things, including the music industry
- 2000-06-14 Courtney Love does the math: the classic article detailing how the music industry gets away with legalized slavery while raking in profits
- 2007-01-31 New York teen sues record industry "'Pirate' boy bites back" by Nick Farrell