An Opinion is a statement which may or may not be true. Although the word is often used to refer to matters of personal taste, which cannot be objectively verified or falsified, it can also apply to statements about reality which are in fact verifiable. The confusion between these two contexts leads to the following misleading usages:
- "That's your opinion" is often used to invalidate carefully-considered evaluations that have taken all available evidence into consideration.
- "That's just my opinion" is often used to excuse completely false (and possibly harmful) statements and possibly give them the same weight as more carefully-considered statements.
Issuepedia attempts to aid with the evaluation of opinions – especially those relating to complex or controversial subjects – by unfolding the details of the process whereby opinions are arrived at, so as to subject it to rational scrutiny.
- Issuepedia:Reasonably sound opinion: We will consider any opinion that takes into account all the best available evidence of which we are aware as constituting the current truth on that subject.
- Opinions category (obsolete)
- Wikipedia: "an assessment, judgement or evaluation of something"