Ruth Bader Ginsburg/replacement
< Ruth Bader GinsburgJump to navigation Jump to search
Republicans want to fill RBG's now-empty seat on the Supreme Counrt while Trump is still in office (despite the Garland doctrine invented by Mitch McConnell to explain why they wouldn't confirm Obama's candidate before the election), so they can have another "conservative" judge, giving a majority for their worldview, while pretty much everyone else desperately wants to avoid this.
This page is a seed article. You can help Issuepedia water it: make a request to expand a given page and/or donate to help give us more writing-hours!
- 2020/09/28 [L..T] How A Conservative 6-3 Majority Would Reshape The Supreme Court «...Supreme Court experts [..] stress that we’re likely to see the legal conservative movement seize this moment, and as such, we should brace for a wave of rulings that move the law fundamentally to the right – on everything from hot-button cultural issues like gun rights and abortion to more legalistic, but nevertheless important, topics like the power of the executive branch.»
- 2020/09/23 [L..T] Republicans will replace RBG but Democrats hold the trump cards – no, really “Progressives should not worry about what will happen if they mimic McConnell’s constitutional hardball. Their representatives need only act with a little less restraint”
- 2020/09/20 [L..T] Pelosi won't rule out using impeachment as option to stop Trump Supreme Court pick “House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday would not rule out impeachment as an option to stop President Trump’s U.S. Supreme Court pick from being confirmed to the bench, saying Democrats will "use every arrow in our quiver” to block the eventual nominee.”
- 2020/09/19 [L..T] Showing they want Democrats to fight GOP efforts to replace Ginsburg, donors inundate ActBlue “As the political reality of Ginsburg’s passing sank in, the ticker that keeps track of donations soared on ActBlue, the non-profit operation that provides a tool for left-leaning activists to raise money for political candidates and issues. About $100,000 in donations came each minute.”
- 2020/09/19 [L..T] Trump and GOP rush on replacing RBG out of weakness and fear “To Republicans, the rush to replace Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a simple proposition: If they don’t replace her right now with a conservative jurist, they’ll lose their chance to replace her. [..] In other words, they think they’re going to lose in November.”
- 2020/09/19 [L..T] Obama calls for Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s successor to be appointed by the election winner Barack Obama: “A basic principle of the law – and of everyday fairness – is that we apply rules with consistency, and not based on what's convenient or advantageous in the moment. The rule of law, the legitimacy of our courts, the fundamental workings of our democracy all depend on that basic principle.”
- 2020/09/19 [L..T] Everything at stake in the upcoming Supreme Court battle “There are significant political and logistical hurdles that McConnell must clear to confirm Trump's nominee with just 45 days left until the election. But there’s little Democrats can do to halt the process if Republicans, who hold a majority in the Senate, remain united. ”
- 2020/09/18 [L..T] Murkowski: 'Fair is fair,' no Supreme Court confirmation before the inauguration. Who's joining her? “Remarkably, Sen. Lisa Murkowski, just told Alaska Public Media on Friday afternoon that she would not confirm a new Supreme Court justice before next year's inauguration. "Fair is fair," she said speaking hypothetically before the announcement of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's passing.”
- 2020/09/18 [L..T] White House announces Trump will nominate a new justice, McConnell announces there will be a vote “...sources inside the White House have already made it clear that Trump intends to nominate a replacement "in the coming days." It can be expected that nominee will come from the list of potential justices Trump published just last week, but considering that it is Donald Trump, anything is possible.