Terrorism is the commission of acts of violent destruction for political purposes. The intent is to cause intense personal fear (terror) in members of some specific population so that they will put pressure on their leaders to take actions desired by the terrorists.
In order to qualify as terrorism, acts must have at least one of the following attributes:
- repeated attempts to kill or violently injure
- major or violent destruction of property
- the inducement of a feeling of fear (in the target population) that danger is imminent
- Domestic terrorism is terrorism used by citizens within their own country.
- Terrorism is an often-used tool of the weaker side in asymmetric warfare.
- war on terror
- 2011-07-22 2011 Norway attacks
- 2005-07-07 7/7 (London)
- 2001-09-11 9-11 (New York City)
- 1995-04-19 Oklahoma City bombing
- 1993-02-26 1993 WTC bombing (New York City)
- 2015/01/26 [L..T] Islamic Terrorism: The Taboo Topic “Every time Islamic terrorism is discussed, those who bring up the "Christian terrorism" of the Ku Klux Klan or anti-abortion violence simply block free speech, as if deliberately trying to scramble the main topic. They seem to be saying, "Whether the Islamic State is Islamic or not is irrelevant; there are Christian terrorists as well, so do not talk about Islamic terrorists."”
- 2015/01/14 [L..T] Are All Terrorists Muslims? It's Not Even Close "Overwhelmingly, those who have committed terrorist attacks in the United States and Europe aren't Muslims."
- 2015/01/10 [L..T] Muslims are terrorism victims, too "These terrorists (Taliban/al-Qaida/ISIS), so-called Muslims, have no religion. No religion in the world teaches you to kill innocent people, especially children and women. [...] These so-called Muslims are not only killing non-Muslims, they are also killing Muslims."
- 2011/07/18 [L..T] Cousin admits role in NYC subway terror plot lead paragraph::A cousin of admitted terrorist Najibullah Zazi publicly revealed for the first time Monday that he was in on Zazi's chilling 2009 plot to attack New York City subways with suicide bombers.
- 2005/07/08 [L..T] headline::Root, Root, Root for the Bomb Team “That's right, the Times is complaining that "wealthy nations have not done enough about the root causes of terrorism"!”
To Be Filed
- 2007-10-15 Philly 9/11 Truth confronts former Terrorism Analyst Jonathan Schanzer, embedded video with commentary. Goes into some history regarding the CIA, the ISI, the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, and some other issues. Schanzer's claim that Hamas and Al Qaeda are making money (to buy weapons) by running schools and doing charity work seems a bit bizarre, given that schools are generally nonprofits (at least in the US; does the system in the Middle East make it possible for schools and charities to be profit centers? If so, how?) and even schools where students must pay for tuition typically need regular large donations just to keep running. "Making money doing charity work" also seems counterintuitive, although possible; I think we would need to see a lot more evidence and details to accept this as a means by which terrorists are raising money. On the other hand, of course, the argument he is arguing against ("well, so they're terrorists, but they also do a lot of good, so it all balances out...") is itself rather bogus.
- 2006-11-08 Thames bomb horror by Fiona Hudson: "A British Muslim plotted to murder tens of thousands in a series of spectacular attacks using radioactive bombs and a petrol tanker, a court heard yesterday.