US/education/primary/curricula/AP/US History/2014 controversy
< US | education | primary | curricula | AP | US HistoryJump to navigation Jump to search
The 2014 version of the Advanced Placement United States History curriculum received considerable objection from the Right:
- The National Association of Scholars (NAS), an organization that "opposes multiculturalism and affirmative action and seeks to counter what it considers a "liberal bias" in academia"[S], had a number of criticisms of the revision and of College Board in general.
- American Principles in Action (APA; domain registered 2009-04-03) and Concerned Women for America LAC (CWA) put up a web site, Oppose New AP Standards (domain registered 2014-08-04), with a petition opposing the curriculum.
- Neither Wikipedia nor Sourcewatch have an article on APA as of this writing. APA's web site announces that they've launched a new astroturf web site, Parents Against the Common Core (domain registered 2014-04-14) opposing the curriculum, complete with a FUD video from "real parents" and an iOS app.
- An Oklahoma legislative committee overwhelmingly voted to ban the curriculum from public schools in Oklahoma, giving reasons that basically amount to escalations of a number of right-wing agenda items:
- The Republican War on Education
- Christian Dominionism (anti-secularism, government should be Christian theocracy)
- American exceptionalist extremism (suppression of criticism of America's actions)
- Christian persecution complex
- revisionist history
- ↑ 2014-07-01 The New AP History: A Preliminary Report by Peter Wood (National Association of Scholars)
- ↑ 2015-02-05 Leading Conservative Group Launches New Initiative to Engage Parents in the Fight Against Common Core
- ↑ 2015-02-17 Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote Overwhelmingly To Ban Advanced Placement U.S. History (via)
- 2015-02-20 Texas Joins Oklahoma on AP History Class
- 2015-02-21 Fox News Declares War on AP History Classes
- Oppose New AP Standards - domain registered by Shane Vander Hart of 415 Communications, LLC