The Initiative Collective is "a grassroots group of volunteers who have banded together across states and countries to empower people in their communities" – in other words, is a citizen infrastructure group dedicated to citizen empowerment.
It was founded on October 3, 2009 as The New York Initiative with a mission of protecting sex workers in New York City from the Long Island Serial Killer. Their emphasis was on providing the workers with services rather than physical presence or defense.
- email: NYInitiativespam@spamgmailspam.spamcom
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NewYorkInitiative
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/321Initiative
- a set of specific instructions for safe dating, using a friend as emergency backup
- for those with no friend available, they provide the following:
- a phone number to call
- a set of code words and numbers (to signal danger without necessarily tipping off a dangerous date)
- practical martial arts training
- improvised weapons training (e.g. pens, phones, keys)
All of their services are provided free of charge.
- 2011-04-26 [Talk|Index] Real-Life Superheroes Offer Sex Workers Protection From the Long Island Serial Killer § “Real life superhero vigilantes in New York – the New York Initiative – have decided to step in and have sworn to do everything they can to protect sex workers from the Long Island Serial Killer. They are offering brute-force, no questions asked protection – because they believe police are inadequate...”
- 2011-04-16 [Talk|Index] To all Ladies: Free Protection and Safety System, (Long Island Killer) – m4w – 29 (NYC) § This is the New York Initiative's Craig's List ad offering assistance to New York City sex workers in defending themselves from the Long Island Serial Killer.
- 2010-07-13 [Talk|Index] Brooklyn's Own Superheroes § “The New York Initiative is a splinter group from a worldwide movement of people calling themselves Real Life Superheroes (RLSHs), who adopt costumed personas of their own invention and take a number of approaches to the concept. It may seem like mere role-playing ... but this growing cohort take their responsibility to do good seriously.”
- [https://www.facebook.com/NewYorkInitiative/info/?tab=page_info The Initiative - Collective