Issuepedia is the encyclopedia of issues, analysis, thought, and opinion. As with Wikipedia, anyone can edit; unlike Wikipedia, we encourage opinions and rants as well as carefully considered analysis and purely factual writing. More...
As of 14:18 UTC on Tuesday, July 29, 2014, Issuepedia has 4,596 articles.
2013-06-10 We had a little outage starting sometime before 12:30 am EDT due, apparently, to HostGator moving our account to another server
without telling us (it turns out that they did send an email; oops). This required only minor site reconfiguration and was easily fixed once I was able to get hold of tech support to find out what was going on, and then just happen to notice that the login domain was different. :-P
- 2014-07-24 [L..T] Decriminalising sex work would cut HIV infections by a third "Mathematical modelling work by Drs Michael Pickles and Marie-Claude Boily from Imperial College London estimates that decriminalising sex work could prevent up to 33 to 46 per cent of HIV infections among female sex workers (FSWs) and clients worldwide over the next decade."
- 2014-07-24 [L..T] Jeremy Scahill On U.S. Media Coverage Of Israel-Gaza Conflict: 'We've Hit All-Time Lows' "We could say this every time I come on your show and talk to you: we've hit all-time lows with media coverage in this country. [..] When you look at what's happening right now in Gaza, this is a massive massacre and one epic series of war crime after war crime, child after child being killed. [...] Israeli propagandists are largely given carte blanche to say what they want on American television with very little pushback."
- 2014-07-23 [L..T] Driller apparently wants to frack Meadowmont in Chapel Hill "It appears the relatively unknown Crimson Holdings Corporation wants to frack more than a handful of nature preserves in Durham, as reported in today's Indy."
- 2014-07-23 [L..T] MSNBC’s Sole Palestinian Voice Rula Jebreal Takes on Pro-Israeli Gov’t Bias at Network & in US Media "A week after public outrage helped force NBC’s reversal of a decision to pull veteran reporter Ayman Mohyeldin out of Gaza, the sole Palestinian contributor to sister network MSNBC has publicly criticized its coverage of the Israel-Palestine conflict. "We are disgustingly biased when it comes to this issue," Rula Jebreal said Monday on MSNBC’s Ronan Farrow Daily, citing a disproportionate amount of Palestinian voices and a preponderance of Israeli government officials and supporters."
- 2014-07-23 [L..T] Afghanistan’s first female taxi driver a disgust to male passengers "Sara Bahai, 40, grew up in a world where women were not allowed the freedom to go to school, work, have a career or dream. But since the fall of the Taliban, she’s been working as a taxi driver in Mazar-i-Sharif."
- 2014-07-22 [L..T] Great Barrier Reef Will Be 'Pretty Ugly' By 2050, Researchers Say "...there are additional threats facing the Great Barrier reef. Earlier this year, a University of Queensland report indicated that the reef will not be able to recover from "irreversible" damage caused by climate change."
- 2014-07-22 [L..T] Appeals court swings a sledgehammer at the ACA "There’s one last court case that we’ve been following that, in theory, could still destroy much of the federal health care system. At a distance, it’s a genuinely ridiculous case, but as Adam Serwer reports this morning, its absurdity didn’t stop Republican-appointed judges from making the wrong call this morning."
- 2014-07-22 [L..T] An ‘unfortunate political stunt’ goes awry "Earlier this year, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) thought he’d come up with a great idea: he’d file a lawsuit against the Affordable Care Act in the hopes of making coverage more expensive for Capitol Hill staff. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, a Republican from Johnson’s home state of Wisconsin, conceded the senator’s lawsuit was “frivolous” and an “unfortunate political stunt.”"
- 2014-07-22 [L..T] Otherwise Intelligent People "Here we go again in Gaza. We’ve seen this movie before; hamas does something ineffectual to provoke Israel and Israel responds by slaughtering hundreds of innocent Palestinians. Now right off the bat, I know that smoke is coming out of some of your ears."
- 2014-07-22 [L..T] Al-Jazeera Gaza offices evacuated after direct hit by Israeli fire "Israel's army has denied targeting the Gaza offices of al-Jazeera TV after the network's correspondents reported that the building had come under fire on Tuesday."
- 2014-07-21 [L..T] Children Exposed To Religion Have Difficulty Distinguishing Fact From Fiction, Study Finds "Young children who are exposed to religion have a hard time differentiating between fact and fiction, according to a new study published in the July issue of Cognitive Science."
- 2014-07-18 [L..T] This Woman Has Been Confronting Her Catcallers — And Secretly Filming Their Reactions "It was then she had the idea for Cards Against Street Harassment: pocket-size cards women could download, print, and hand out to their catcallers, explaining why the attention was unwanted without even speaking."
- 2014-07-16 [L..T] Everybody I know is on Food Stamps. "Everybody I know is on Food Stamps. We have jobs, but the jobs pay so low that we still need help. We stock shelves, pump gas, and cook your food. Stuff that needs to be done, but is somehow not "Real Work" or a "Real Job." Let's not even go into the fact that a good chunk of us went to college so we could have a "Real Job" but when we finished those "Real Jobs" turned out to be as mythical as the Yeti or Brownies."
- 2014-07-15 [L..T] Timeline: Koch Brothers' 50 Years in the Tar Sands "The Koch brothers built their first fortune on the particularly dirty form of oil mined in Alberta's tar sands, where they have been major players for 50 years, and remain deeply invested."
- 2014-07-14 [L..T] Hobby Lobby Is Now Discriminating Against a Transgender Employee "Meggan Sommerville, a Hobby Lobby frameshop manager in Aurora, Illinois, has for years been shut out of the store’s bathroom because her boss insists that, as a trans woman, she cannot use the facilities. She is pressing a discrimination case with the Illinois Human Rights Commission, contending that the ban is both insulting and illegal under state laws barring discrimination in both employment and in public accommodations."
- 2014-07-11 [L..T] What We Don't Talk About When We Don't Talk About Abortion "I had an abortion four years ago. I just recently decided to start talking about it."
- 2014-07-06 [L..T] Fukushima has 9 days to prevent ‘unsafe’ overheating "Fukushima operator TEPCO has been forced to switch off the cooling system at mothballed Reactor Unit 5, after it was discovered that it had been leaking water. In nine days, if the system is not repaired, temperatures will exceed dangerous levels."
- 2014-07-06 [L..T] A Company Liberals Could Love Douthat argues that liberals should support Hobby Lobby because of their internal minimum wage policy, and goes on to argue something about liberal intolerance of religious diversity.
- 2014-07-06 [L..T] Billionaire Koch brothers are big oil players in Alberta "The ultra-right U.S. Koch brothers, little-known to Canadians, are major players in Alberta's oil patch, where they control at least 1.1 million acres."
- 2014-07-04 [L..T] At Some Point, Progressives Need to Break Up With the Democratic Party "The Democratic Party espouses right-wing policies. Self-described progressives give them cash. Comedian Bill Maher gave them a million cash dollars, yet Democrats don't agree with him on anything. Why? Because he hates Republicans even more. Why didn't Maher save his money? Or better yet, fund a group or a writer or an artist who promotes ideas he actually agrees with? Because he, like tens of millions of other liberals, are stuck in the two-party trap."
- 2014-07-02 [L..T] Cliven Bundy’s cousin: ‘He was raised in a racist predicament’ "Explaining that she and Bundy were raised as Mormons, Robertson said, “For the first 130 years of our church, they taught that black people carried the curse of Cain,” adding, “That's why their skin was black. He was raised in a racist predicament.”"
- 2014-07-02 [L..T] Two documentaries reveal shadowy Koch-funded network threatening democracy, public education "Just how much political influence can money buy? [..] How much money can the rich pour into politics before democracy is compromised? [..] Can the public possibly stand up to the seemingly unlimited resources behind the agenda to take away their rights? [..] These questions, and many more, are raised by the documentaries "Citizen Koch” and “Koch Bros. Exposed,” which both use as their starting point the 2010 Citizens United Supreme Court decision that opened the door for corporations to spend freely and anonymously in political campaigns, giving the nation’s wealthiest an outsized voice in politics."
- 2014-07-01 [L..T] Hobby Lobby Made Fight a Matter of Christian Principle "For the family behind Hobby Lobby, fighting the Affordable Care Act’s contraceptives mandate all the way to the Supreme Court was a calling, not a choice."
- 2014-07-01 [L..T] 3/4 of Hobby Lobby's investment funds include contraception, abortion services "Hobby Lobby is so offended by the idea of contributing to its employees' birth control expenses that it fought all the way to the Supreme Court over the issue. But its retirement plan has over $73M sunk into funds that include companies that make contraception."
- 2014-06-23 [L..T] Earth has warmest May on record, may signal warmest year in pipeline "NOAA reports today that May was the globe’s warmest in 134 years of records, besting the previous high mark established in 2010. Last week, NASA and the Japan Meteorological Agency – in independent analyses – also released data indicating it was our home planet’s toastiest May on record."
- 2014-06-21 [L..T] States with Weak Gun Laws and Higher Gun Ownership Lead Nation in Gun Deaths "States with weak gun violence prevention laws and higher rates of gun ownership have the highest overall gun death rates in the nation, according to a Violence Policy Center (VPC) analysis of new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control."
- 2014-06-21 [L..T] The Republic of Ireland has never had a school shooting in its history. "The Republic of Ireland has never had a school shooting in its history. Not. A. Single. One."
- 2014-06-20 [L..T] 'Runaway maids' tracked down on Kuwaiti Instagram "Kuwaiti domestic workers are being named and shamed on an Instagram account called Mn7asha, or "runaway"."
- 2014-06-18 [L..T] Abu Khattala comes into sharper focus "The second [possibility] is that the suspected ringleader behind the Benghazi attack is in on the Benghazi conspiracy. Sure, the sheeple will resist, but don’t you see it? The conspiracy is so broad, so all-encompassing, and so far-reaching in its scope, the White House has even gotten to Ahmed Abu Khattala, convincing an alleged terrorist to stick to the talking points."
- 2014-06-17 [L..T] Fall Into Theocracy #1: How the Catholic Church is Killing Polish Democracy "These things rarely reach the public outside of Poland, and there’s a reason for that: as a member of the European Union, Poland does what it can to maintain the image of a modern, progressive country – when in actuality, it’s still deep in the Middle Ages. It’s about time someone spreads the word of what ridiculous, unbelievable things happen here – in what once was considered the most tolerant and welcoming country on the Old Continent." … further results
- 2011-05-10 :more:talk: From Chomsky to bin Laden § “In 1946 a self-confident West had no trouble demanding that Martin Heidegger be banned. Ideas, it was understood, had consequences. Today nobody would dream of banning Mr. Chomsky from anything. Yet ideas have consequences even today.” more...
- 2011-05-09 :more:talk: Exclusive: AnonOps splinter group speaks out § “A self-styled Anonymous "splinter group" that has seized control of two sites used by the 'hacktivist' collective to organise Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks and other operations have revealed their intentions in an exclusive interview with thinq_.” more...
- 2011-05-07 :more:talk: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden's Death § “We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush's compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic.” more...
- 2011-05-03 :more:talk: Yes, you should join Anonymous § “despite [Anonymous's] somewhat ironic transparency, there remain a few points of misunderstanding that we encounter when it comes time to recruit [...] I've composed the following FAQ by which to address those myths along with common questions and concerns that we often encounter.” more...
- 2011-04-28 :more:talk: Obama Administration punishes reporter for using multimedia § “White House officials have banished one of the best political reporters in the country from the approved pool of journalists covering presidential visits to the Bay Area” for filming protesters interrupting an Obama fundraiser.” more...
- 2011-04-27 :more:talk: Obama Releases 'Long Form' Birth Certificate § “In a news conference Wednesday morning, Mr. Trump claimed credit for forcing Mr. Obama's hand, saying, "I feel I’ve accomplished something really, really important." But he said the document released Wednesday would have to be examined for authenticity.” more...
- 2011-04-26 :more:talk: Real-Life Superheroes Offer Sex Workers Protection From the Long Island Serial Killer § “Real life superhero vigilantes in New York – the New York Initiative – have decided to step in and have sworn to do everything they can to protect sex workers from the Long Island Serial Killer. They are offering brute-force, no questions asked protection – because they believe police are inadequate...” more...
- 2011-04-22 :more:talk: New York Initiative (Our 'Real' Superheroes) Want to Help Pretty Ladies NOT Get Killed by Long Island Killer § “Remember when we told you about the Real Life Superheroes, the New York Initiative? Then there was a documentary about them? Well, now they have some advice (and protection, natch) for ladies out there who may be worried they will get killed...” more...
- 2011-04-16 :more:talk: To all Ladies: Free Protection and Safety System, (Long Island Killer) – m4w – 29 (NYC) § This is the New York Initiative's Craig's List ad offering assistance to New York City sex workers in defending themselves from the Long Island Serial Killer. more...
- 2011-04-12 :more:talk: Romney to Trump: Obama Doesn’t Need a Birth Certificate § “According to Romney family lawyers it doesn’t matter if Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, Kenya, or even Paris: Because his mother was an American (and not even Donald Trump questions that), he is eligible to be President.“ more...