Did You Know
...that at least 24.1% of the United States*, including most of most of Washington DC, is behind walls of unofficial, unaccountable censorship rather like the so-called Great Firewall of China? (*Verizon 8.8%, Comcast 15.3%) Update: In 2010, a federal appeals court ruled that this is ok. past editions
Issuepedia is the encyclopedia of issues, analysis, thought, and opinion. As with Wikipedia, anyone can edit; unlike Wikipedia, we encourage opinions and rants as well as carefully considered analysis and purely factual writing. More...
As of 10:22 UTC on Saturday, March 8, 2014, Issuepedia has 4,050 articles.
2013-06-10 We had a little outage starting sometime before 12:30 am EDT due, apparently, to HostGator moving our account to another server
without telling us (it turns out that they did send an email; oops). This required only minor site reconfiguration and was easily fixed once I was able to get hold of tech support to find out what was going on, and then just happen to notice that the login domain was different. :-P
- 2014-03-06 [L..T] Why Is Our Government (And Deep State) So Incompetent? Though many may reckon the U.S. government (and its Deep State) are not so much incompetent as merely evil, I suggest incompetence sows the seeds of evil consequences.
- 2014-03-05 [L..T] Kiev snipers hired by Maidan leaders - leaked EU's Ashton phone tape The snipers who shot at protesters and police in Kiev were allegedly hired by Maidan leaders, according to a leaked phone conversation between the EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton and Estonian foreign affairs minister, which has emerged online.
- 2014-03-05 [L..T] Russia puts Ukraine far-right leader on international wanted list over calls for terrorism The leader of the Ukrainian radical group Pravy Sektor (Right Sector), Dmitry Yarosh, has been put on an international wanted list and charged with inciting terrorism, after asking Doku Umarov to attack Russia.
- 2014-03-05 [L..T] Who is really responsible for the Ukrainian crisis? Someone, namely US and Canadian oil and gas barons, stands to make a helluva lot of money off this deal.
- 2014-03-04 [L..T] Global Warming Slows Antarctica's Coldest Currents The deep, salty currents that carry oxygen and nutrients to the ocean depths have been disappearing over the past few decades.
- 2014-03-02 [L..T] Tug of War Over Ukraine Intensifies Sunday was a day of messages and mopping up, with Ukrainian and Western leaders trying to dissuade President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia from overplaying his hand and ordering an invasion of eastern Ukraine, even as Russian forces and their sympathizers in Crimea worked to disarm or neutralize any Ukrainian resistance there.
- 2014-03-02 [L..T] Fox News host calls out Darrell Issa for ‘highest level of falsehood’ on Benghazi Fox News host Chris Wallace on Sunday confronted Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) after he was rated as having the “highest level of falsehood” for his obsession with the terrorist attacks in Benghazi.
- 2014-03-02 [L..T] Obama pushes Israel to stop assassinations of Iran nuclear scientists President Barack Obama is pressuring Israel to stop carrying out assassinations of top nuclear scientists in Iran as the Islamic Republic continues its negotiations with world powers over its uranium enrichment program, according to a new book.
- 2014-03-02 [L..T] Ross Douthat looks at gay marriage and wonders what’s love got to do with it ...if you think that marriage is not a synergistic coupling of sexual variables for the express purpose of pooping out babies from a vagina Pez dispenser, Ross thinks that you are setting your sights way too low and [you] are probably callow and unthinking...
- 2014-03-01 [L..T] Ukraine’s Donetsk calls for referendum, votes to restore Russian’s official status The City Council in the eastern city of Donetsk has refused to recognize Ukraine’s self-imposed government and called for a referendum on the region’s status. The council has made Russian alongside Ukrainian the official language in the region.
- 2014-03-01 [L..T] Apple CEO to Global Warming Deniers: We Don’t Want Your Money Apple chief Tim Cook is largely known for his mild-mannered nature. But he certainly offended some people at Apple’s annual shareholder meeting Friday when he had no qualms about telling investors where they could stick their cash if they don’t like the company’s environmental policies. As Mashable reports, “Apple has made vast improvements in its use of renewable energy since Cook took over from Steve Jobs.” But there are some who don’t like that trend, including the National Center for Public Policy Research, a conservative think tank and Apple investor that thinks the company could be making more money if it stopped caring about the environment.
- 2014-03-01 [L..T] Ukraine alleges Russian “invasion” of Crimea as Obama warns of “costs” US President Barack Obama issued a statement Friday evening denouncing “reports of military movements” taken by Russia in Ukraine, warning that “there will be costs for any military intervention.” The comments come as the US/European-stoked regime change operation in Ukraine threatens to develop into a conflict between Western powers and Russia.
- 2014-03-01 [L..T] Situation in Ukraine The United States condemns the Russian Federation's invasion and occupation of Ukrainian territory, and its violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity in full contravention of Russia’s obligations under the UN Charter, the Helsinki Final Act, its 1997 military basing agreement with Ukraine, and the 1994 Budapest Memorandum. This action is a threat to the peace and security of Ukraine, and the wider region.
- 2014-03-01 [L..T] ‘Russian forces in Ukraine could be a stabilizing factor in a country with no legitimate govt’ As President Putin weighs using military forces in a Ukraine plunging deeper into political turmoil, Alexander Mercouris, international law expert, tells RT that the presence [of] Russia’s forces could be a restraining factor for all the parties involved.
- 2014-02-28 [L..T] Indianapolis cops must allow citizens to film police activity after $200k settlement The terms of a recently settled lawsuit in Indianapolis, Indiana will require the city’s police force to remind officers that it’s legal for civilians to videotape on-duty cops, but it will also cost the department more than just that.
- 2014-02-28 [L..T] Drought and Global Climate Change: An Analysis of Statements by Roger Pielke Jr I replied that the indicated comments by Dr. Pielke, and similar ones attributed by Senator Sessions to Dr. Roy Spencer of the University of Alabama, were not representative of main- stream views on this topic in the climate-science community; and I promised to provide for the record a more complete response with relevant scientific references.
- 2014-02-28 [L..T] The Gox Crater: Crowd Detectives Reveal Billion-Dollar Heist as Inside Job As smoke clears on the implosion of the Empty Gox bitcoin exchange, thousands of people in the community committed to revealing the truth behind the stonewalling exchange. What was claimed first to be a technical problem, then an outside theft, has been conclusively determined that the MtGox management knew too much, too long ago, to have this be an ordinary case of theft.
- 2014-02-27 [L..T] Astonishingly awful Supreme Court decision lets the government seize all your assets before trial I’ll just defer [to] what others have already said about the court’s ruling in Kaley v. U.S. this week.
- 2014-02-27 [L..T] One-third of California town's police force arrested for scheming cars from poor Hispanics Investigators say King City police ordered hundreds of vehicles to be impounded – most often those driven by Hispanic immigrants – and then either kept the cars for themselves or re-sold them for profit.
- 2014-02-26 [L..T] Why the Plan to Dig a Canal Across Nicaragua Could Be a Very Bad Idea By the end of this year, if a Chinese entrepreneur gets his way, digging will begin on a waterway that would stretch roughly 180 miles across Nicaragua to unite the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Giant container ships capable of carrying consumer electronics by the millions (or T-shirts by the billions) could begin making the passage by 2019, according to the most optimistic projections.
- 2014-02-25 [L..T] Durham private school’s move draws objections Members opted for the postponement after Patrick Byker, attorney for a next-door neighbor of the site, pointed out the school’s advocates hadn’t addressed how the project might affect the value of nearby property.
- 2014-02-25 [L..T] Groom kidnappings: A blot on India's Bihar Poor and unable to find grooms for their daughters, many still seize men at gunpoint in what is known as pakadwa shaadi.
- 2014-02-25 [L..T] Secrets of the Vatican Video (83:41): "An inside look at the scandals that rocked Benedict's papacy."
- 2014-02-24 [L..T] Is the US backing neo-Nazis in Ukraine? John McCain and other State Department members have troubling ties to the ultra-nationalist Svoboda party.
- 2014-02-21 [L..T] From the fringe to the Hill It’s alarmingly common to hear congressional Republicans repeat some deeply odd conspiracy theories. But more often than not, the theories didn’t start on Capitol Hill; they just ended up there.
- 2014-02-19 [L..T] Celebrities, European Leaders Push for Final Deal on Wall Street Tax A new viral video with Andrew Lincoln of "The Walking Dead" is one more setback for financial industry lobbyists fighting a financial transaction tax.
- 2014-02-18 [L..T] Sex Is Not an 'Economy' and You Are Not Merchandise The longer I live and the more I read and the deeper I fall in love and the less I give a fuck and the more patience I lose and the more perspective I gain, the more certain I become that the people who most aggressively try to define love for others have never actually experienced it themselves.
- 2014-02-17 [L..T] Cheap Words Amazon is good for customers. But is it good for books?
- 2013-12-17 [L..T] The Future Is All Robots. But Will We Even Notice? Whatever is coming from Google, we’ll certainly see even greater integration of robots into everyday life. Those robots will quickly become so much a part of our lives that we’ll cease to think of them as robots; they’ll just be the things we live with.
- 2013-09-10 [L..T] Technology and the Distribution of Wealth There is a question so important to the modern economy that it often hides in plain view. I’m talking about the role that technology plays in the distribution of wealth. This connection between our distribution of societal resources and our rapidly evolving technology centers on two fundamental phenomena: (1) The way technology displaces labor (2) The way technology concentrates profits … further results
- 2011-05-10 :more:talk: From Chomsky to bin Laden § “In 1946 a self-confident West had no trouble demanding that Martin Heidegger be banned. Ideas, it was understood, had consequences. Today nobody would dream of banning Mr. Chomsky from anything. Yet ideas have consequences even today.” more...
- 2011-05-09 :more:talk: Exclusive: AnonOps splinter group speaks out § “A self-styled Anonymous "splinter group" that has seized control of two sites used by the 'hacktivist' collective to organise Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks and other operations have revealed their intentions in an exclusive interview with thinq_.” more...
- 2011-05-07 :more:talk: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden's Death § “We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush's compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic.” more...
- 2011-05-03 :more:talk: Yes, you should join Anonymous § “despite [Anonymous's] somewhat ironic transparency, there remain a few points of misunderstanding that we encounter when it comes time to recruit [...] I've composed the following FAQ by which to address those myths along with common questions and concerns that we often encounter.” more...
- 2011-04-28 :more:talk: Obama Administration punishes reporter for using multimedia § “White House officials have banished one of the best political reporters in the country from the approved pool of journalists covering presidential visits to the Bay Area” for filming protesters interrupting an Obama fundraiser.” more...
- 2011-04-27 :more:talk: Obama Releases 'Long Form' Birth Certificate § “In a news conference Wednesday morning, Mr. Trump claimed credit for forcing Mr. Obama's hand, saying, "I feel I’ve accomplished something really, really important." But he said the document released Wednesday would have to be examined for authenticity.” more...
- 2011-04-26 :more:talk: Real-Life Superheroes Offer Sex Workers Protection From the Long Island Serial Killer § “Real life superhero vigilantes in New York – the New York Initiative – have decided to step in and have sworn to do everything they can to protect sex workers from the Long Island Serial Killer. They are offering brute-force, no questions asked protection – because they believe police are inadequate...” more...
- 2011-04-22 :more:talk: New York Initiative (Our 'Real' Superheroes) Want to Help Pretty Ladies NOT Get Killed by Long Island Killer § “Remember when we told you about the Real Life Superheroes, the New York Initiative? Then there was a documentary about them? Well, now they have some advice (and protection, natch) for ladies out there who may be worried they will get killed...” more...
- 2011-04-16 :more:talk: To all Ladies: Free Protection and Safety System, (Long Island Killer) – m4w – 29 (NYC) § This is the New York Initiative's Craig's List ad offering assistance to New York City sex workers in defending themselves from the Long Island Serial Killer. more...
- 2011-04-12 :more:talk: Romney to Trump: Obama Doesn’t Need a Birth Certificate § “According to Romney family lawyers it doesn’t matter if Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, Kenya, or even Paris: Because his mother was an American (and not even Donald Trump questions that), he is eligible to be President.“ more...