Issuepedia is the encyclopedia of issues, analysis, thought, and opinion. As with Wikipedia, anyone can edit; unlike Wikipedia, we encourage opinions and rants as well as carefully considered analysis and purely factual writing. More...
As of 21:42 UTC on Sunday, February 26, 2017, Issuepedia has 4,942 articles.
Currently active: Donald Trump/pre-presidency is tracking the Trump-Pence administration in the days between election and inauguration; we're also tracking negative reactions and those of his supporters. (2016-11-17)
- 2016-11-16 Issuepedia's database is now over 15 gigabytes. I'm not sure how much of that is spam (and reversions of same), but still...
- 2016-01-20 MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.26.2, in the hope that this would resolve some errors. It didn't really, so I eventually had to block AhRefsbot, which was overloading the system and ignoring my changes to robots.txt. Sorry, guys, I can't wait 2 weeks for your bots to slow down. (Also upgraded SMW to v2.3.)
- 2015-10-31 MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.25.3. SCARY!!!
Did You Know
...that at least 24.1% of the United States*, including most of most of Washington DC, is behind walls of unofficial, unaccountable censorship rather like the so-called Great Firewall of China? (*Verizon 8.8%, Comcast 15.3%) Update: In 2010, a federal appeals court ruled that this is ok. past editions
- 2017-02-10 [L..T] Behind the Internet's Anti-Democracy Movement White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is reportedly a reader of neoreactionary political theory. A tour through the pro-authoritarian philosophy gaining visibility on the right.
- 2016-12-09 [L..T] Trump's pick for White House counsel is wrong for the job "The White House counsel operates out of the public eye but has the president's ear. In the Trump administration, with the unprecedented multiplicity of conflict-of-interest challenges facing the businessman-president, the job will take on added importance. As a Democratic commissioner at the Federal Election Commission, I served five years alongside Donald F. McGahn, President-elect Donald Trump's choice for the post. My experience may be instructive – and disquieting."
- 2016-11-25 [L..T] Trump fills White House counsel and deputy national security posts "President-elect Donald Trump on Friday named a libertarian election lawyer as his White House counsel and a hard-line former Reagan administration official to a top post on his national security staff."
- 2016-08-31 [L..T] Revealed: Conway, Bannon Members of Secretive Group "The two political operatives chosen earlier this month to lead Donald Trump's presidential campaign after two former managers departed have been members of the secretive Council for National Policy (CNP), Hatewatch has learned"
- 2016-06-13 [L..T] Six questions we should ask after Orlando The questions:
- 1) Are there more home-grown terrorists than we realize?
- 2) Are lone wolves avoidable?
- 3) Why guns?
- 4) Who can buy a gun?
- 5) Why a gay nightclub?
- 6) Should we bar all Muslims?
- 2016-03-01 [L..T] Get Ready to Say President Trump Unless something changes dramatically between now and November, Donald Trump will be the next president.
- 2015-10-29 [L..T] GOP and the Rise of Anti-Knowledge "Ben Carson's rise to the top of the Republican presidential field shows that many Republicans, especially Christian fundamentalists, have decoupled from the real world – and are proud of it. The more that GOP candidates embrace "anti-knowledge" the more popular they become, as Mike Lofgren explains."
- 2015-09-10 [L..T] Message -- Continuation of the National Emergency With Respect to Certain Terrorist Attacks “The terrorist threat that led to the declaration on September 14, 2001, of a national emergency continues. For this reason, I have determined that it is necessary to continue in effect after September 14, 2015, the national emergency with respect to the terrorist threat.”
- 2015-07-20 [L..T] ‘Stand-To:’ Holding The Line Against Christian Fascism "Yes, they are liars. They are lying little liars who tell wicked lies. How do you know that a forced-birth activist is lying? Simple: if they carry a sign or open their mouths, they are lying. They are never not lying. They only ever lie. Fibbing and fraud are their primary weapons."
- 2015-05-14 [L..T] The Story of How Bernie Sanders Became Famous Will Make You Love Him Even More Now, as his campaign for president ramps up, he's already making a splash. He's in Iowa talking about the yawning gap between the rich and the poor. He's on Sunday morning talk shows talking about free college and health care. He is waging a rhetorical war against "the billionaire class," whom he believes Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton will side with at the expense of the middle class.
- 2015-04-12 [L..T] Hillary Clinton: I'm running for president "Hillary Clinton announced on Sunday that she was running for president of the United States, promising to be a champion of middle-class Americans if she made it to the White House as the country’s first female commander in chief."
- 2015-04-07 [L..T] Rand Paul declares presidential bid "It’s official: "Libertarian Conservative" Senator Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) says he'll be running for president of the United States in 2016. [..] Paul, 52, announced Tuesday morning that he'll indeed be pursuing the Republican Party's nomination for president ahead of next year’s election.
- 2015-04-03 [L..T] Fatwah envy, again "Both of these people are committing a kind of rhetorical extortion, using the threat of murder elsewhere as a club to silence those who strive for respect and dignity in their lives. And in that sense both Ali and Cotton are happily exploiting atrocities to justify continued injustices."
- 2015-03-23 [L..T] Students upset they had to attend Ted Cruz's Liberty University event or face a fine "While Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) received a very warm welcome from most of the 10,000 Liberty University students present at his presidential campaign kickoff, not all were happy that they had to attend the event or face a fine."
- 2015-02-24 [L..T] Arkansas, Kentucky See Most Improvement in Uninsured Rates "Of the 11 states with the greatest reductions, 10 expanded Medicaid and established a state-based marketplace exchange or state-federal partnership. Montana, which is tied for 10th, is the only exception."
- 2015-02-24 [L..T] A letter from the property owner "As a queer radical disabled trans* person who has a history of housing insecurity, it is incredibly important to me that every person coming into contact with Trans* Housing Atlanta Program is treated with utmost respect; especially in regards to consent and accountability practices, autonomy and freedom from coercion, and having their privacy maintained and respected. Recently I have discovered that Trans* Housing Atlanta Program has unequivocally failed our clients around these issues and overall in our mission to provide safe housing and supportive services to the transgender and gender non-conforming community of Georgia. I am sorry."
- 2015-02-22 [L..T] Willie Soon is going down "Soon is a dishonest hack, one of the climate change deniers who exploited his prestigiously titled position as a researcher at the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics (Oooh! Sciencey!) to claim authority in attacks on more credible climate scientists, and he’s been very popular on the denialist side of things. [..] Now his own boss is admitting that he violated disclosure principles by failing to reveal his industry connections."
- 2015-02-22 [L..T] Scientist Took Money From The Fossil Fuel Industry "One of the world's most prominent climate researchers publishing scientific papers that doubt humanity's role in climate change has received at least $1.2 million from the fossil fuel industry to fund his research and salary, according to documents revealed this weekend."
- 2015-02-06 [L..T] Ukraine’s currency just collapsed 50 percent in two days "Ukraine, to use a technical term, is broke. That's what you call a country whose currency has lost half its value in just two days."
- 2015-02-05 [L..T] 3 Male Lawmakers Propose Eliminating Obamacare's Maternity Coverage "In their quest to repeal and replace Obamacare, three Republican lawmakers have offered an alternative proposal to the health reform law that would roll back some of its major consumer protections, including maternity care for pregnant women."
- 2015-02-05 [L..T] Russian Patriarch Again Supports Blasphemy Laws "Patriarch Kirill, the supreme leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, is unsurprisingly criticizing the publishing of cartoons that are viewed as blasphemous by some Muslims. Kirill was the main force pushing for harsh anti-blasphemy laws in Russia, so this is expected."
- 2015-02-04 [L..T] Paul Ryan's First Tax Legislation Adds Nearly $100 Billion To Deficit "The first bills promoted by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) as the new chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee would add nearly $100 billion to the deficit over 10 years. [..] Ryan, a deficit hawk during his time as the chairman of the Budget Committee for the previous six years, made his fame proposing budgets that aimed to dramatically cut domestic spending and balance the budget within a decade."
- 2015-02-04 [L..T] I Had an Ectopic Pregnancy, and Anti-Choice Laws Could Have Made My Experience Much Worse "I'm grateful that during this medical emergency, my doctors were allowed to follow only their best judgment about what care would keep me healthiest, according to the most current standards of their profession. Their only legal concern was my safety. The police had no part in our story. If you want to imagine me at this moment, picture me thumbing my nose at every meddling anti-choice medievalist who was prevented from making a terrible week even worse and threatening my health to boot."
- 2015-02-04 [L..T] The Town Where Everyone Got Free Money "Between 1974 and 1979, the Canadian government tested the idea of a basic income guarantee (BIG) across an entire town, giving people enough money to survive in a way that no other place in North America has before or since. For those four years – until the project was cancelled and its findings packed away – the town's poorest residents were given monthly checks that supplemented what modest earnings they had and rewarded them for working more. And for that time, it seemed that the effects of poverty began to melt away. Doctor and hospital visits declined, mental health appeared to improve, and more teenagers completed high school."
- 2015-01-30 [L..T] Rush Limbaugh lays down the law for Republican candidates "Not long ago, Mitt Romney seemed to be indicating that he was thinking about running for President. Shortly after that, he indicated that he thought Anthropogenic Global Warming was for real and important. Then Rush said..."
- 2015-01-26 [L..T] NY cops throw cold water on wild right-wing claims about 'Islamberg' terrorist training camp "It's kind of perplexing to us, all this recent media attention in regard to potential terrorist training camps and things that are going on there," said Delaware County Sheriff Craig Dumont. "We don't see it. We just don’t find any of that to be valid at this time." [..] Rumors about the Islamberg compound have been circulating for years but gained recent attention after the terror attacks in Paris."
- 2015-01-26 [L..T] Climate change skeptic accused of violating disclosure rules "In a note at the end of the paper, all four authors claimed no conflicts of interest on the published study. But Kert Davies, executive director of the Climate Investigations Center, an organization based in Virginia, said Soon's long track record of accepting energy-industry related grants indicates otherwise and might constitute a violation of Science Bulletin's disclosure policy. [..] In a letter to Science Bulletin, Davies points to the more than $1 million Soon has received from companies and interests supporting studies critical of climate change."
- 2015-01-26 [L..T] Islamic Terrorism: The Taboo Topic “Every time Islamic terrorism is discussed, those who bring up the "Christian terrorism" of the Ku Klux Klan or anti-abortion violence simply block free speech, as if deliberately trying to scramble the main topic. They seem to be saying, "Whether the Islamic State is Islamic or not is irrelevant; there are Christian terrorists as well, so do not talk about Islamic terrorists."”
- 2015-01-21 [L..T] Muslim Scholars Demand International Blasphemy Laws "A leading Islamic organisation has called on the United Nations to make "contempt of religions" illegal and urged the West to protect Muslim communities following the attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo."
- 2015-01-20 [L..T] Charlie Hebdo launches app version featuring prophet Muhammed cover "A new app for French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo has been released for iOS, Android and Windows devices, letting readers worldwide get hold of a copy without queueing at newsagents. [..] The app is illustrated with the current cover, a cartoon of the prophet Muhammed, in a change from the norm for Apple's notoriously censorious App Store which has previous banned satirical and controversial apps."... further results