Issuepedia is the encyclopedia of issues, analysis, thought, and opinion. As with Wikipedia, anyone can edit; unlike Wikipedia, we encourage opinions and rants as well as carefully considered analysis and purely factual writing. More...
As of 19:02 UTC on Sunday, December 8, 2013, Issuepedia has 3,987 articles.
2013-06-10 We had a little outage starting sometime before 12:30 am EDT due, apparently, to HostGator moving our account to another server
without telling us (it turns out that they did send an email; oops). This required only minor site reconfiguration and was easily fixed once I was able to get hold of tech support to find out what was going on, and then just happen to notice that the login domain was different. :-P
- 2013-04-22 [L..T] What BP Doesn’t Want You to Know About the 2010 Gulf Spill Within days, the 32-year-old single mother was coughing up blood and suffering constant headaches. She lost her voice. “My throat felt like I’d swallowed razor blades,” she says.
- 2013-01-01T02:09:00 [L..T] Senate clear fiscal cliff measure The Senate has passed legislation to block the impact of across-the-board tax increases and spending cuts that make up the fiscal cliff.
- 2013-01-01 [L..T] Fiscal cliff: America goes to the brink, but millions already fell into poverty Whatever the outcome of the political haggling, Congress has failed the 50 million Americans below the bread line.
- 2012-12-29 [L..T] Chris Hedges Explains How Entire Regions Within the US Are Treated Like Exploited Colonies a recent interview conducted with Chris Hedges surrounding his latest book Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt.
- 2012-12-11 [L..T] Explaining Socialism To A Republican “My friend seemed totally shocked when I said “All socialism isn’t bad”. She became very serious and replied “So you want to take money away from the rich and give to the poor?” I smiled and said “No, not at all. Why do you think socialism means taking money from the rich and giving to the poor?”
- 2012-10-20T21:17:00 [L..T] Harris-Perry: ‘Disgusting’ voter-suppression tactics still spreading Besides billboards in Ohio and Wisconsin threatening enormous fines and prison sentences for “voter fraud,” Harris-Perry noted the appearance of a Spanish-language billboard spotted in Pennsylvania telling voters, “Si Quieres Votar Muéstrala,” or, “If you want to vote, show it,” a reference to the state voter identification law that was largely struck down in court earlier this month.
- 2012-10-19T18:24:00 [L..T] Third instance of voter registration dumping found in Virginia A third instance of fraudulent voter registration has been uncovered in the important swing state of Virginia, where a Republican consultant has been arrested and thousands of discarded voter registration forms were recovered from a dumpster earlier this week.
- 2012-09-13T01:43:00 [L..T] New questions about makers of anti-Muslim film as shadowy details emerge This appears to be the same AP article as 2012/09/12/California man confirms role in anti-Islam film.
- 2012-09-12T12:46:00 [L..T] Latest Updates on Rage Over Anti-Islam Film The Lede is following the angry protests and violence in the Muslim world which began on Tuesday in response to a film trailer posted on YouTube that insults Islam’s prophet.
- 2012-09-12 [L..T] YouTube Blocks Access to Controversial Video in Egypt and Libya In an unusual move, YouTube announced today that it was blocking access to a video showing clips from "The Innocence of Muslims"– an anti-Islamic film that depicts Prophet Mohammed as a philanderer who approves of child abuse – after the film sparked violent protests in Egypt and Libya.
- 2012-09-12 [L..T] 'This Does Not Represent Us': Moving Photos of Pro-American Rallies in Libya pictures of Libyans holding up signs apologizing to US for the death of US ambassador Chris Stevens
- 2012-09-12 [L..T] California man confirms role in anti-Islam film Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, told The Associated Press in an interview outside Los Angeles that he was manager for the company that produced "Innocence of Muslims," which mocked Muslims and the prophet Muhammad and may have caused inflamed mobs that attacked U.S. missions in Egypt and Libya. He provided the first details about a shadowy production group behind the film.
- 2012-09-12 [L..T] Craft Store Chain Sues For Right To Deny Their Employees Contraception Coverage Hobby Lobby, a large chain of craft stores owned by conservative evangelical Christians, filed a federal lawsuit against the contraception mandate today, claiming they should have the right to deny coverage for emergency contraception to over 13,000 employees across 40 states. Hobby Lobby's owners, the Green family, claim the Obamacare requirement to provide employer-based coverage for that contraceptive service violates their freedom of religion and speech...
- 2012-09-10 [L..T] Mitt Romney's epic incompetence I've been following politics for many years; I've written a book on presidential campaigns and I've delved quite a bit into the minutiae of the 2012 campaign. And I'm increasingly convinced that Mitt Romney is the worst national politician I've ever seen.
- 2012-08-07T23:23:00 [L..T] Mandan City Commission gives Wal-Mart $403,000 tax break After two hours of hot debate, the Mandan City Commission on Tuesday gave the Wal-Mart Stores Inc., its first property tax break in the state, to build a supercenter in the city.
- 2012-07-18 [L..T] Thanks, Elizabeth Warren! Capitol One to pay $210 million as result of CFPB action The first big enforcement action by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, conceived of and originally led by Elizabeth Warren, is netting $210 million from Capital One Financial Corp. for deceptive marketing of credit card “add-on” products.
- 2012-07-16 [L..T] Chick-fil-A's flippant response to years of LGBT controversy: 'Guilty as charged' Chick-fil-A COO Dan Cathy defends the company's anti-gay activities on Biblical grounds.
- 2012-07-15 [L..T] Deconstructing Conservative Myths About Socialism, Capitalism, and Who The ‘Job Creators’ Are "Conservatives have taken to a new spin on truth, by refashioning definitions of words and terms in order to provoke new connotations. Socialism is now defined as a government take over, Capitalism is now defined as patriotic, and the wealthy are now defined as job creators. But simply redefining these words will not change their true meaning, it is only myth making."
- 2012-07-12T14:07:00 [L..T] Iceland Has Hired An Ex-Cop To Hunt Down The Bankers That Wrecked Its Economy "LeMonde reporter Charlotte Chabas has a profile of Ólafur Þór Hauksson, a former local police lieutenant whom the Iceland government appointed to track down individuals likely to have helped sink the country's banking sector during the credit crunch."
- 2011-08-18T14:51:00 [L..T] Pseudonymous blogging at Science Blogs is over. I have just been informed that ScienceBlogs will no longer be hosting anonymous or pseudonymous bloggers. In case you are interested, despite extensive communication from many of us as to why we blog under pseudonyms, I have not been given any rationale or reason for this move. Particularly, no rationale or reason that responds to the many valid points raised by the pseudonymous folks.
- 2011-07-29T13:57:00 [L..T] Google is gagging user advocates So here we have a Googler who is working on identity stuff part-time as a “Devil’s Advocate” (I guess the users are the “devil” from Google’s perspective, ugh), who has repeatedly helped disseminate information about Google+ identity policy, and who has always taken a balanced view in her public posts, asking for anti-pseudonym resources or suggestions from the community, all while being very clear that she doesn’t speak for Google officially... silenced, and forced not to speak.
- 2011-07-29 [L..T] A Case for Pseudonyms There are myriad reasons why individuals may wish to use a name other than the one they were born with. They may be concerned about threats to their lives or livelihoods, or they may risk political or economic retribution. They may wish to prevent discrimination or they may use a name that’s easier to pronounce or spell in a given culture.
- 2011-07-28T12:11:00 [L..T] 'No porn or prostitution': Islamic extremists set up Sharia law controlled zones in British cities Islamic extremists have launched a poster campaign across the UK proclaiming areas where Sharia law enforcement zones have been set up.
- 2011-07-28 [L..T] About "Google Minus." How does this affect me? As a member of a plural system, I would technically not be allowed to sign up as "Noël Dawkins," even though I prefer to use my own name online, rather than presenting as the "front identity." I would probably not be banned, as my name looks like a name, rather than an actual pseudonym, but it would technically be against their strict community guidelines. I suppose that I could simply sign up under the front identity (disclosure: we have already done so), but there is a difference between social networking under that guise, and social networking as myself.
- 2011-07-28 [L..T] Unapproved emergency birth control medicine possibly in U.S. distribution may be ineffective and unsafe The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning U.S. consumers not to use the emergency birth control medicine labeled as Evital. These products may be counterfeit versions of the “morning after pill” and may not be safe or effective in preventing pregnancy.
- 2011-07-27T17:32:00 [L..T] Mom granted new trial in death of son struck by driver A Georgia woman convicted on misdemeanor charges in the death of her son after he darted out into traffic will receive a new trial, a judge ruled.
- 2011-07-27 [L..T] Why it Matters: Google+ and Diversity Just a few days before Google+'s doors officially open on July 31, Google's latest communications from Vic (via Robert) and Bradley on the raft of account suspensions and “common names” policy seem unlikely to put the “identity crisis” to rest. It's certainly a positive sign that they’re engaging, and process changes like giving people with names Google doesn’t like a week to change their account name before suspending them are certainly improvements. That said, the impression they’re giving is that they’re going to try to hold the line with the current policy even knowing that it targets transgender people, human rights activists, people at risk for stalking and harrassment domestic violence survivors, HIV/AIDS victims and caregivers, people with names that sound weird to Americans (or for that matter people in Hong Kong who would rather go by their English names)...
- 2011-07-26T21:54:00 [L..T] Mom spared jail time after driver hits, kills boy A Georgia woman who was convicted on misdemeanor charges in the death of her son who darted out into traffic will not spend time in jail, a judge ruled Tuesday.
- 2011-07-26T12:00:00 [L..T] Fraudsters Already Exploiting Google+ It was inevitable. With the creation of Google+, a new social network already boasting over 20 million users, the scammers were sure to follow. Here's a note a probable fraudster sent to reader Geoff through his Google+ profile, informing him that someone died in Africa and he needs to be contacted about a "business transaction" of "magnitude."
- 2011-07-25T14:20:00 [L..T] Taxing The Poor: The Only Tax Increase Republicans Support While they fight the expiration of the budget-busting Bush tax cuts, Republicans have continually cited a report that shows that 51 percent of Americans don't pay income taxes, even admitting that middle- and lower-class Americans need to shoulder a larger burden in deficit reduction efforts. … further results
- 2011-05-10 :more:talk: From Chomsky to bin Laden § “In 1946 a self-confident West had no trouble demanding that Martin Heidegger be banned. Ideas, it was understood, had consequences. Today nobody would dream of banning Mr. Chomsky from anything. Yet ideas have consequences even today.” more...
- 2011-05-09 :more:talk: Exclusive: AnonOps splinter group speaks out § “A self-styled Anonymous "splinter group" that has seized control of two sites used by the 'hacktivist' collective to organise Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks and other operations have revealed their intentions in an exclusive interview with thinq_.” more...
- 2011-05-07 :more:talk: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden's Death § “We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush's compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic.” more...
- 2011-05-03 :more:talk: Yes, you should join Anonymous § “despite [Anonymous's] somewhat ironic transparency, there remain a few points of misunderstanding that we encounter when it comes time to recruit [...] I've composed the following FAQ by which to address those myths along with common questions and concerns that we often encounter.” more...
- 2011-04-28 :more:talk: Obama Administration punishes reporter for using multimedia § “White House officials have banished one of the best political reporters in the country from the approved pool of journalists covering presidential visits to the Bay Area” for filming protesters interrupting an Obama fundraiser.” more...
- 2011-04-27 :more:talk: Obama Releases 'Long Form' Birth Certificate § “In a news conference Wednesday morning, Mr. Trump claimed credit for forcing Mr. Obama's hand, saying, "I feel I’ve accomplished something really, really important." But he said the document released Wednesday would have to be examined for authenticity.” more...
- 2011-04-26 :more:talk: Real-Life Superheroes Offer Sex Workers Protection From the Long Island Serial Killer § “Real life superhero vigilantes in New York – the New York Initiative – have decided to step in and have sworn to do everything they can to protect sex workers from the Long Island Serial Killer. They are offering brute-force, no questions asked protection – because they believe police are inadequate...” more...
- 2011-04-22 :more:talk: New York Initiative (Our 'Real' Superheroes) Want to Help Pretty Ladies NOT Get Killed by Long Island Killer § “Remember when we told you about the Real Life Superheroes, the New York Initiative? Then there was a documentary about them? Well, now they have some advice (and protection, natch) for ladies out there who may be worried they will get killed...” more...
- 2011-04-16 :more:talk: To all Ladies: Free Protection and Safety System, (Long Island Killer) – m4w – 29 (NYC) § This is the New York Initiative's Craig's List ad offering assistance to New York City sex workers in defending themselves from the Long Island Serial Killer. more...
- 2011-04-12 :more:talk: Romney to Trump: Obama Doesn’t Need a Birth Certificate § “According to Romney family lawyers it doesn’t matter if Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, Kenya, or even Paris: Because his mother was an American (and not even Donald Trump questions that), he is eligible to be President.“ more...