Islam is one of the three major Abrahamic religions [W], sharing much of its mythology with Christian and Jewish scripture (the former of which uses the latter essentially as a starting point) and specifically mentioning the Christian mythical martyr Jesus Christ in at least one of its scriptural works (inscriptions on the Dome of the Rock [W]).
Believers in Islam are known as "Muslims".
Like any major religion, Islam has a long history of violent extremism. There is similarly a long history of Western violence against Muslims.
- 2006 Muhammad image riots
- Charlie Hebdo/Islam
- Islamic cultural invasion: a phantom menace widely claimed by the political right in the global West
- Islamofascism is the use of Islam as a cover for fascism.
- 2014-01-21 [L..T] Senator questions Council of Islamic Ideology "Senator Farhatullah Babar on Monday questioned recent pronouncements of the Council of Islamic Ideology and asked if the council was a legal entity even after having submitted its final report to parliament in 1997 as required under the constitution."
- 2014-03-12 [L..T] Marital matters: Underage marriage [Nikkah] not un-Islamic: CII
- 2014-03-22 [L..T] Troupe of topless Femen protesters get dragged kicking and screaming out of Berlin's Islamic Week meeting after covering themselves in anti-Islam messages "The Berlin Islam Week event, held in one of the city's town halls, was stopped in its tracks by members of extreme protest group Femen, who charged into the hall with slogans attacking 'religious oppression' and Sharia law daubed on their bodies."
- 2014-04-01 [L..T] Retrogressive mindset: Abolition of Council of Islamic Ideology sought
- 2014-04-07 [L..T] Not Your Tragic Queer Muslim Story
- 2010-08-13 [Talk|Index] What Obama Got Wrong About the Mosque § “Perhaps there is some form of Islam that could issue from this site that would be better, all things considered, than simply not building another mosque in the first place. But this leads me to a somewhat paradoxical conclusion: American Muslims should be absolutely free to build a mosque two blocks from ground zero; but the ones who should do it probably wouldn’t want to.”
- 2009-07-02 [Talk|Index] Why I based superheroes on Islam § “The creator of a bestselling comic designed to show the world the tolerant and peaceful face of Islam has written an open letter to his young sons explaining how the project grew out of 9/11.”
- 2008-06-01 [Talk|Index] Mother who defied the killers is gunned down § “Five weeks ago Leila Hussein told The Observer the chilling story of how her husband had killed their 17-year-old daughter over her friendship with a British soldier in Basra. Now Leila, who had been in hiding, has been murdered - gunned down in cold blood.” Will the father face charges? How can the US say they have brought democracy and freedom to Iraq when this sort of thing happens?
- 2008-05-12 [Talk|Index] President Apostate? § Luttwak makes the case that Obama might be considered an apostate Muslim by Islamic law, and concludes that “...of all the well-meaning desires projected on Senator Obama, the hope that he would decisively improve relations with the world's Muslims is the least realistic.”
- 2008-03-22 [Talk|Index] Christians Agree: America is a Muslim Country § “Is America based upon Christian principles? There are probably some enshrined within our foundation. But as I have clearly shown, much of Americaâ€™s founding is based upon, and owes a debt of gratitude to, the enlightened civilizations of the Muslims.”
- 2008-02-28 [Talk|Index] Survey challenges myths about Islam § A survey “shows that the overwhelming majority of Muslims condemned the attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001, and other subsequent terrorist attacks ... the poll found that most Muslims, including radicals, admire the West...”
- 2008-02-05 [Talk|Index] Wikipedia Islam Entry Is Criticized § “An article about the Prophet Muhammad in the English-language Wikipedia has become the subject of an online protest in the last few weeks because of its representations of Muhammad, taken from medieval manuscripts.”
- Apparently the issue has been resolved, with the final decision being to leave the pictures in place with no warnings, but instructions on how to hide them from yourself (via preferences on the site). Hidden text ("view source" to see it) in the "Muhammad" article gives details.
- WikiIslam: "focuses on the critique of Islam, whilst also allowing pro-Islamic responses in separate articles"
- Islam: The Religion of Peace (and a big stack of dead bodies): anti-Islam site
- Faith Freedom International "a grassroots movement of ex-Muslims. Its goals are to (a) unmask Islam and show that it is an imperialistic ideology akin to Nazism but disguised as religion and (b) to help Muslims leave it, end this culture of hate caused by their "us" vs. "them" ethos and embrace the human race in amity. We strive for the unity of Mankind through the elimination of Islam, the most insidious doctrine of hate." "This site is blocked in Islamic countries. Find a proxy in Google or in proxy.org to access it."
- Jihad Watch: "...the West is facing a concerted effort by Islamic jihadists, the motives and goals of whom are largely ignored by the Western media, to destroy the West and bring it forcibly into the Islamic world..."
- Muslims Out of Australia!: Snopes confirms that the Australian government did in fact make statements that Sharia law would not be recognized, and that Muslims wishing to follow it should go elsewhere
- 2006-02-16 Who Are the Moderate Muslims? by Sam Harris (with comments)
- 2006-02-08 Sam Harris on the Reality of Islam by Sam Harris (with comments)
- 2006-10-12 Two types of veiling by David Shariatmadari: "Do veils oppress or liberate? It depends on why you're wearing one"
- The Historic Contributions of Islam "My point is that Islam has stifled a culture, benighted a large region of the world, and quelled an entire people into a rerun of the dark ages. It has done this by successfully smothering freedom, repressing new thoughts and ideas and quelling all individuality. It has effectively prevented a large portion of the world from seeing any forward progress for over half a millennium. ... This is reminiscent of the way in which the Catholic faith inhibited science during its early years."
- 2007-03-16 video The trouble with Islam: humorous commentary by Pat Condell
- 2006-02-24 Islam: A Declaration Of European Muslims: affirms European Muslim support of "(a) the rule of law; (b) principles of tolerance; (c) values of democracy and human rights; (d) the belief that each and every human being has the right to five essential values: the value of life, the value of faith, the value of freedom, the value of property, and the value of dignity." but does not give any sense of repudiation of various terrorist acts (9/11 et sequelae) done in the name of Islam
- 2007-08-24 Many Won't Run Next Two 'Opus' Strips With Sex Joke, Islam Reference: "Berkeley Breathed's Aug. 26 and Sept. 2 strips -- which comprise sort of a two-part series -- show the Lola Granola character wanting to become an Islamic radicalist (and wear traditional Muslim clothing) because it's a 'hot new fad on the planet.' Content also includes what Shearer described as 'a sex joke a little stronger than we normally see.'"
- 2007-04-22 Furor over author Ayaan Hirsi Ali's visit stirs debate on religious freedom alt: apparently the appropriate Muslim response to someone who says things which 'are "poisonous and unjustified" and create dissension in their community' is to prevent that person from talking – even in the United States, where the right to speak freely is guaranteed by the Constitution. The Muslims are civilized, however, and won't insist that Ms. Ali be executed on US soil for renouncing Islam.
- 2007-04-02 Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims by Laura Clark
- 2007-02-23 Pakistani minister assassinated for not wearing veil
- 2006-12-06 Imams: we want to hit US Airways "where it hurts, the pocketbook"
- 2006-11-17 Dutch seek ban on burqas in public
- Islamists Hate Sweden's New Integration Minister
- Top Tory says No place for Sharia law in the UK
- Message to Islamists: Don't Tread on Me By H. W. Crocker III: raises some valid points, but reiterates the fallacy that liberals are against American empire-building and makes no mention of the unnecessary abuses which took place under British rule. This does not negate the article's central point; hopefully, America's version of "empire" would be more transparent and fair (Britain was, at the time, a monarchy) – but since 2002 or so, we've been going in the wrong direction to be able to claim this hope as a likelihood.
- 2006-07-16 Islamists shoot World Cup viewers in Somalia — Soccer Watching is Now a Crime