- The Authoritarians is an introduction to the science on authoritarianism, written for a lay audience
- Conservapedia: stub article
- dKosopedia site down, can't verify page (as of 2008-06-29)
SourceWatchno equivalent page; see search
 Filed Links
- 2014-06-10 [L..T] Cult of Compliance: Attacking the Breasts of Female Protestors "One of my questions about what I term the cult of compliance is the extent to which it is a product of our historical moment or an indelible aspect of the relationship between the state and its subjects. I'm an optimist, I want to believe that we can improve, that we can make things better. I'm also an historian, though, so it's hard to ignore this kind of evidence as coming out of a fundamental place in the structures of our society in its reactions to protesters in general and women specifically."
- 2014-06-03 [L..T] Alabama Bible school puts Hitler quote on billboard to encourage youth indoctrination "A Christian ministry in Alabama said this week that it would remove a billboard with a quote by Adolf Hitler that it had used to promote its work with children."
- 2014-06-02 [L..T] The Conservative War on Girls: School Accused of Shaming Girls for Wearing Shorts (Video) "Shaming women has become almost a sport in schools. Every day, it seems we are confronted with a new instance of a yearbook editing female students to make them less sexy or a girl being kicked from prom because it was likely that she was going to drive a crowd of middle-aged men wild with lust."
- 2014-04-23 [L..T] Russia Orders Bloggers To 'Register'; Outlaws Anonymous Blogging, Continues Clampdown On Social Media "As we've reported, Russia has been steadily trying to bring the Internet under control with ever-more stringent measures. After tackling general Web sites through powers that allow them to be blocked more easily, it now seems to be the turn of the bloggers..."
 version 2
- 2009-05-23 [Talk|Index] Student’s bike ride earns punishment § “After they arrived, mother and son were approached first by school security and then school administrators, who informed Marino that students are not permitted to ride their bikes to school.”
- 2008-07-04 [Talk|Index] Bad Deed for 7-4-2008: Confusing the Public About Patriotism § “For a people to be controlled, they must first be robbed of honest discourse and open debate. Distorting language and stripping it of real and honest meaning is the first tool and the best mechanism for transforming a democracy into an authoritarian state. ... Nowhere does the term or the idea of patriotism in general require one to believe oneâ€™s country is â€œgreat.â€ Nowhere does the term or the idea of patriotism in general require a ban on dissenting views, on criticism of oneâ€™s government, indeed even of oneâ€™s nation.”
- 2008-06-30 [Talk|Index] Domination and Protecting the Status Quo - Authoritarians Do Whatever it Takes § “Here are some recent examples of what these authoritarians might do and the tools they will use to get their way. .. Bill Kristol, the son of Irving Kristol, is a good place to start.”
- 2008-06-25 [Talk|Index] Why The Right Isn't Future-Ready § “Authoritarianism is dangerous not just because it's hostile to individual liberty, but also because it poisons every step of the process of social change. And societies that succumb to it are, in a very real sense, setting themselves up for failure. .. In this essay, I'm going look at a few reasons why this is so.”
- 2008-06-01 [Talk|Index] Mother who defied the killers is gunned down § “Five weeks ago Leila Hussein told The Observer the chilling story of how her husband had killed their 17-year-old daughter over her friendship with a British soldier in Basra. Now Leila, who had been in hiding, has been murdered - gunned down in cold blood.” Will the father face charges? How can the US say they have brought democracy and freedom to Iraq when this sort of thing happens?
- 2007-12-24 [Talk|Index] Mike Huckabee with Bill Gothard Last Week in Houston § “presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee has close ties to fringe evangelist/tycoon Bill Gothard, who runs the little-known Chicago-area Institute in Basic Life Principles (IBLP) and a string of affiliated businesses. It's been widely reported that Gothard's organizations advocate strict authoritarianism and blind obedience. Allegations of child abuse such as locking kids for extended periods in "prayer closets" and other misconduct have led to investigations.”