- continued and escalated Bush's policy of elevating presidential power
- refused to prosecute Bush administration officials who authorized torture (as required by UN Convention Against Torture, to which the US is a signatory)
- supported the most broad interpretation of the State Secrets Privilege in every legal challenge to the executive branch
- attacks on the free press
- 2013-05-15 Chris Hedges: Monitoring of AP Phones a "Terrifying" Step in State Assault on Press Freedom
- 2013-05-22 No Oversight in Seizure of AP Phone Records "I had asked in the immediate aftermath whether the DOJ had gotten a judicial subpoena or merely used an administrative one; the answer is the latter, which means no oversight at all from a judge. And Verizon turned those records over immediately..."
- 2013-10-11 New Report Finds Obama's Policies Threaten an Independent Press
- promised increased transparency, but has generally worked against it
- 2009-03-12 Obama Administration Declares Proposed IP Treaty a National Security Secret
- 2011-04-28 Obama Administration punishes reporter for using multimedia
- 2012-07-31 The Most Transparent Administration in History Strikes Again "A court has allowed them to continue to pretend that documents that were already made public are still so secret that they are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act."
- 2012-11-14 Obama: Transparently Disappointing
- 2013-05-13 Most Transparent Administration in History Releases Completely Redacted Document About Text Snooping
- promised to protect whistleblowers, but instead has vigorously prosecuted them while letting perpetrators go free
- refuses to prosecute torturers (also see above links)
- 2012-09-04 Obama's Defense Of The Torture Murderers
- fought for executive authority to detain indefinitely
- 2012-09-11 Judge Smacks Down Obama on Gitmo Access "...A Reagan-appointed judge ... has issued a ruling ... hammering the Obama DOJ for seeking to deny attorneys representing Gitmo detainees access to their clients."
- 2012-09-19 Obama Fights for Executive Authority to Detain Indefinitely
- cracked down on medical marijuana providers, even those in full compliance with state law
- continued or expanded Bush's policies in the war on terror, including torture and warrantless domestic spying
- 2012-04-20 Obama Betrays Promises on Drugs. Again.
- 2012-04-24 Bush, Obama and the National Surveillance State
- 2012-04-27 Obama's Astonishing Chutzpah "President Obama, who has maintained and even expanded the federal government's illegal surveillance program and steadfastly refused to hold anyone accountable for torture, actually issued an executive order allowing the U.S. to sanction "foreign nationals" who do the same thing he is guilty of doing..."
- 2012-05-07 Former Gitmo Prosecutor Hammers Obama, Holder
- continues to promote abstinence-based education
- has ordered the killing of American citizens without due process
- generally has a very bad record on upholding civil liberties (in some ways, worse than Bush), despite his background as a constitutional scholar and his pledge to uphold the rule of law
- 2012-04-26 Obama's Terrible Record on Civil Liberties
The following are attempts by various anti-Obama factions (mainly the Republicans) to drum up scandals and draw attention away from the various genuine abuses listed above. At their most serious, they represent possible incompetence at some level of the administration.
- IRS targeting Tea Party groups (who generally are anti-IRS) for investigation
- 2013-03-24 [L..T] Debunking Almost Every Republican Lie Against President Obama
- 2014-03-01 [L..T] [[2014/03/01/Ukraine alleges Russian invasion of Crimea as Obama warns of costs|]]
- 2014-03-01 [L..T] Situation in Ukraine
- 2014-03-02 [L..T] Obama pushes Israel to stop assassinations of Iran nuclear scientists President Barack Obama is pressuring Israel to stop carrying out assassinations of top nuclear scientists in Iran as the Islamic Republic continues its negotiations with world powers over its uranium enrichment program, according to a new book.
- 2014-03-09 [L..T] White House pushes back on Ukraine criticism
- 2014-03-09 [L..T] Bush's Defense Secretary Destroys GOP Talking Points Against Obama's Handling Of Crimea Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates pushed back on Sunday against conservatives who've blamed President Obama's "weak" foreign policy for Russian President Vladimir Putin's decision to invade Crimea.
- 2014-04-01 [L..T] Syria Not Guilty: New Evidence from the Ghouta Sarin Gas Attack "New evidence shows that the Syrian government was not responsible for the August 21, 2013 sarin gas attack in Ghouta on its own people."
- 2014-04-16 [L..T] Obama's equal-pay myth is one thing. The GOP's chauvinism is a problem "Go ahead, turn the White House's 77-cents quote into the new 47% video. But don't preach until you know where wage-gap vigilantism gets us"
- 2014-05-25 [L..T] Obama Administration Will Let Veterans Seek Care At Private Hospitals "The Obama administration's decision to allow more veterans to get care at private hospitals could take some pressure off backlogged Veterans Affairs facilities struggling to cope with new patients from the wars on terrorism as well as old soldiers from prior conflicts."
- 2014-05-26 [L..T] I.R.S. Bars Employers From Dumping Workers Into Health Exchanges
- 2014-11-21 [L..T] House panel finds no intelligence failure in Benghazi attacks "An investigation by the Republican-led House Intelligence Committee has concluded that the CIA and U.S. military responded appropriately to the attacks on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya, in 2012, dismissing allegations that the Obama administration blocked rescue attempts during the assault or sought to mislead the public afterward."
- 2009-02-24 [Talk|Index] JFK, FDR and 'Seven Days in May' § “In the wake of the tragically flawed Bay of Pigs operation, Kennedy learned a valuable lesson that Obama has yet to learn: the limits of presidential authority.”
- 2008-11-06 [Talk|Index] Rahm Emanuel § an introduction to Rahm Emanuel, with lists of facts and quotes
- whitehouse.gov official archive
- 2013-06-27 Obama Fact Sheet:: Since Becoming President, Barack Obama Has... It's All Here!
- 2012-09-13 Obama's Unconstitutional NDAA 'Detained Indefinitely' by Court Ruling
- 2013-03-24 Debunking Almost Every Republican Lie Against President Obama
- 2013-05-28 Obama's Pretty Words "If he had actually given a damn about the rule of law, he would have prosecuted Bush administration officials that authorized torture. Doing so is required by the UN Convention Against Torture, which is the law of the land in this country. If he gave a damn about the rule of law, he would have stopped using the broad version of the State Secrets Privilege in every single legal challenge to the executive branch. He hasn't just failed to support the rule of law, he has intentionally and flagrantly destroyed any possibility of its application."
- 2013-08-23 The Manning Verdict and the Rule of Law "...the executive branch under both Bush and Obama has become, for all practical purposes, lawless. It has succeeded in subverting the Bill of Rights, the rule of law, the separation of powers, our treaty obligations and the rights of all of us. More importantly, it has succeeded in making itself immune to all legal challenge. We may exchange presidents every few years, but the branch they lead is now, for all practical purposes, an institution without boundaries on what it may do to us."