Gore played a key role in early expansion of the internet backbone, thus making possible the internet as we now know it. His attempts to claim credit for this during the 2000 presidential race were distorted into a popular myth that he had claimed to have "invented the Internet", which was exploited by his opponents. His claims were nonetheless accurate.
- 2007-06-27 humor: User Friendly (webcomic)
- 2007-03-23 NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS! Brilliantly, Waldman corrected a lie. Walsh let a new lie spread
- 2000-10-17 Who Invented "Invented"?: Tracing the Real Story of the "Al Gore Invented the Internet" Hoax, by Phil Agre
- 2000-10-17 The Mother of Gore's Invention by Declan McCullagh
- 2000-10-15 The New Science of Character Assassination by Phil Agre: the Republican habit of distorting facts and then accusing their opponent of doing it
- 2000 untitled P.S. probably by Phil Agre
- 2000-07-20 Our current howler (part III): One that did matter