- Member of the Bush II administration
- Instrumental in passing the Military Commissions Act of 2006
- Has close ties with Iraq contractor Halliburton and its legal counsel, Vinson & Elkins 
- "He’s one sneaky, lying S.O.B., to put it bluntly. He’s the most authoritarian attorney general in the history of the republic. He’s the most dangerous. I never thought I’d long for the days of John Ashcroft." — David Obey (D-Wisc.)
- 2007-07-29 Acting on Impeachment by Ralph Nader: 56 of Gonzales's law school classmates (Harvard Law School, class of 1982) bought space for an open letter in mid-May that excoriated his "cavalier handling of our freedoms time and again."
- 2006-09-29 Gonzales Cautions Judges on Interfering (alt): "Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who is defending President Bush's anti-terrorism tactics in multiple court battles, said Friday that federal judges should not substitute their personal views for the president's judgments in wartime." Guess he hasn't heard of the separation of powers. (See also: Bush II administration anti-democracy)