Jump to navigation Jump to search
Normal is a word with a wide variety of meanings that depend heavily on context, including the following:
- 1. (adj., general) conforming to a common standard, type, pattern, or range; usual, familiar, typical
- "normal occurrence", "normal behavior", "normal intelligence"
- 2. (adj., psychology) free from mental disorder; sane
- 3. (adj., statistics) relating to a normal distribution
- 4. (adj., chemistry) (several very specific definitions about chemical composition and molecular structures and interactions)
- 5. (adj., geometry) something that is perpendicular to something else
- 6. (adj., set theory) "having the property that every coset produced by operating on the left by a given element is equal to the coset produced by operating on the right by the same element" (m-w.com)
- 7. (adj., matrix algebra) "having the property of commutativity under multiplication by the transpose of the matrix, each of whose elements is a conjugate complex number with respect to the corresponding element of the given matrix" (m-w.com)
- /ambiguity: In social contexts, different definitions of "normal" are often conflated in order to prescribe behavior (hypernormalization).