Definitions of patriotism include:
- love for or devotion to one's country (Merriam-Webster)
- positive and supportive attitudes to a 'fatherland' (Wikipedia)
- love or devotion to one's country or homeland (Conservapedia)
There seem to be two main varieties of patriotism:
- Broad patriotism is the support of one's country towards a goal of being a better country, recognizing that it may yet have serious flaws.
- Narrow patriotism is taking the side of one's country in any disagreement (i.e. supporting the idea that our side should win), regardless of which side may have a morally better case.
Both forms are willing to defend a homeland against unprovoked attack, though for subtly different reasons.
Narrow patriotism equates to "My country, right or wrong!", an attitude which broad patriots often find morally reprehensible.
dKosopediano article as of 2007-11-14 SourceWatchno article as of 2007-11-14