AboutPrivilege is a personal attribute assigned by society which allows the bearer unwritten freedom or power not available to others.
There are two major types of privilege:
- individual privilege (e.g. being born into a wealthy family)
- group privilege (being a member of a group that is given special accommodations)
In modern Western society:
- If a man gives instructions in a business or academic environment, people are more likely to take him seriously than if the instructions are given by a woman. (This is but one of many examples of male privilege.)
- An unknown woman is more likely to be trusted than an unknown man, especially if pets or children are involved. example
- Christian privilege
- Privilege is when you think something is not a problem because it is not a problem to you personally. h/t
People who have privilege have a tendency to fight against egalitarianism, either because of a conscious understanding that more equality for everyone means less privilege for them or else because greater equality, when you're used to having privilege, feels like others being given privilege over you. "When you are accustomed to privilege, equality looks like discrimination" or "...looks like oppression".
- Conservapedia: entire content is "A privilege is a benefit or advantage to certain persons beyond the advantages of other persons, e.g., an exemption, immunity, power, etc." as of 2015-02-22
- 2010-08-18 [Talk|Index] Please forgive me for the actions of extremists I have never met who commit acts of violence that I have never advocated § “As a white male Baptist, it is my duty today to denounce the violence perpetrated by Patrick Gray Sharp, 29, who yesterday attacked the police headquarters in McKinney, Texas, in a heavily armed but ineffectual assault involving a high-powered rifle, road flares, "gasoline and ammonium nitrate fertilizer."”
- 2008-11-17 [Talk|Index] A Marriage Manifesto... Of Sorts § “I no longer recognize marriage. It's a new thing I'm trying.”
- 2016-02-25 160+ Examples of Male Privilege in All Areas of Life "But here’s the thing about male privilege: it hurts everyone, including you. [...] You don’t have to be a bad person to benefit from male privilege, and recognizing your privilege doesn’t mean saying you don’t deserve good things."