The Democratic field was basically Clinton, the preferred choice of the Democratic Party establishment, and Sanders, a popular independent who switched his party affiliation to Democrat for this election.
The Democratic primary was tarnished by repeated allegations of procedural misconduct by Party officials – especially at the notorious 2016 Nevada Democratic State Convention – countered by bitter arguments against Sanders and claims that his supporters were violent and frequently abusive online. ("BernieBro" was generally used as an epithet to describe those who behaved this way.)
When Sanders conceded and threw his support behind Clinton, many of his supporters refused to switch allegiance to Clinton and vowed either to write in Sanders (not possible in many jurisdictions), to vote for a third-party candidate (typically Jill Stein, sometimes Gary Johnson) or abstain. This ideology became known as "Bernie-or-bust".
- 2017-03-20 Full transcript: FBI Director James Comey testifies on Russian interference in 2016 election (via)
- 2016-11-12 Donald Trump Electoral College Problem: Can The Electoral College Stop Trump And Let Hillary Clinton Win The 2016 Election? (via): petition at 3.3 million as of early on 11/12; was less than 100k on evening of 11/11, so I think it must have been started on 11/11
- Regardless of Hillary Clinton’s concession...: argues that the election was rigged (in Trump's favor), but without any sources
- The Improbable Demographics Behind Donald Trump's Shocking Presidential Victory (WARNING: autoplay video)
- Russia says it was in touch with Trump's campaign during election (via)
- Election 2016: Exit Polls
- new theory for why Trump voters are so angry – that actually makes sense (via): actually, this has been the social media consensus for some time, but more confirming data is always useful
- 2016-10-18 Don’t believe the hype. Foreign hackers will not choose the next president.
- 2016-12-18 Marla Caldwell notes the irony that actually, they did -- though by social engineering rather than computer-hacking
- 2016-09-19 The Road Ahead: actor Kirk Douglas, age 99, speaks out against Trumpism
- 2016-07-18 Trump campaign guts GOP's anti-Russia stance on Ukraine