Ubiquitous Income is our term for referring to any kind of centrally-distributed income that isn't the result of employment or investment, including schemes otherwise known as UBI, BIG, and BMI but not including traditional "welfare" programs. Reference works tend to use the term "basic income" for most or all of these.
- 2015-02-04 [L..T] The Town Where Everyone Got Free Money "Between 1974 and 1979, the Canadian government tested the idea of a basic income guarantee (BIG) across an entire town, giving people enough money to survive in a way that no other place in North America has before or since. For those four years – until the project was cancelled and its findings packed away – the town's poorest residents were given monthly checks that supplemented what modest earnings they had and rewarded them for working more. And for that time, it seemed that the effects of poverty began to melt away. Doctor and hospital visits declined, mental health appeared to improve, and more teenagers completed high school."
- 2014-04-05 [L..T] Anti-slavery and Universal Basic Income raise similar arguments "It is not surprising that anti-slavery and universal basic income raise similar arguments. Both are about emancipation of the suffering poor."
- 2014-03-28 [L..T] It's time for a basic minimum income! "Regardless of whether you want to fight poverty, stimulate the economy, shrink the size of government, or simply ensure everyone has a sense of human dignity – you should be calling for a no-strings-attached basic income for all."
- 2014-02-01 [L..T] BIG and Technological Unemployment: Chicken Little Versus the Economists "The paper rehearses arguments for and against the prediction of massive technological unemployment."
- 2011-12-01 [L..T] Do Europe's Minimum Income Schemes Provide Adequate Shelter against the Economic Crisis and How, If at All, Have Governments Responded? "The present economic crisis comes against the background of decades of policy changes that have generally weakened the capacity of social safety nets to offer citizens with adequate resources for financial survival when labour markets fail to do so. Building on data for 24 European Union countries, this paper asks whether EU governments implemented additional measures during the first phase of the crisis to improve safety nets."
- 2009-04-01 [L..T] Assessment of Minimum Income Schemes in Spain "...this report points out the need to make progress in cover for situations of social exclusion and need. It also makes clear that wide-reaching protective cover (such as Spain's) for situations of need is not enough if unaccompanied by quality services or enhanced protective intensity with a view to surmounting the situation of relative poverty. Nor is it sufficient if unaccompanied by real opportunities to enter the labour market."
- Wikipedia: basic income
- Conservapedia: basic income is "a socialist policy where every resident of an area is guaranteed an income regardless of their employment status."
- "According to the France-based Public Services International and the Britain-based New Economics Foundation – left-of-center organizations – universal basic income does not work well in practice." - NEF may be left-of-center, but the article they cite is in the right-leaning Epoch Times. The report offers a very thoughtful critique of UBI and raises many points, some more dubious than others, which need to be examined. Saying that the report concludes that they "don't work", however, is a bit of a misrepresentation.
- RationalWiki: basic income
- 2018-12-27 Universal basic income had a rough 2018 via Slashdot
- 2018-07-31 PC's plan to scrap Ontario basic income pilot project called 'shameful' by NDP leader via Slashdot
- 2018-02-18 Study Finds People Given Basic Income Are Likely to Keep Working (h/t)
- 2018-01-13 Money for nothing: is Finland's universal basic income trial too good to be true? via Slashdot
- 2015-10-08 The remarkable thing that happens to poor kids when you give their parents a little money
- 2015? Karl Widerquist turns libertarian arguments on their head in an argument for unconditional income (commentary on a video)
- 2009-04 Assessment of Minimum Income Schemes in Spain