- Chavez was heavily critical of United States foreign policy.
- His administration increasingly clamped down on civil rights, including free speech 
- 2002: the administration announced an official policy requiring the use of only open-source software in all government agencies (including the government-owned oil industry) within two years 
- 2014-03-20 [L..T] The truth about Venezuela: a revolt of the well-off, not a 'terror campaign'
- 2014-03-07 [L..T] Venezuela, Journalistic Malpractice, and the 'Paper of Record' "NYT violates standards of basic economics and journalistic procedures in reporting on Venezuela inflation"
- 2014-03-03 [L..T] The Washington Post Uses Biased Experts to Promote Propaganda on Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 Is Venezuela Burning? "The reality is both very different and far more complex. Venezuela, after all, is a society that declared war on neoliberalism fifteen years ago."
- 2014-02-24 US Backing the Destabilization of Venezuela (video, 11:32)
- 2014-02-23 Rival protests continue in Venezuela: "Supporters of President Nicholas Maduro fear a right-wing coup being staged against the country's Socialist leader."
- 2014-02-22 [http://www.fair.org/blog/2014/02/22/news-from-venezuela-but-where-is-it-coming-
- Toward a nuanced, feminist discussion on Venezuela
- some commentary on credibility of various sources here (in comments)
- 2014-02-19 Dialogue or Coups
- 2014-02-14 Venezuela threatens to expel CNN over protest coverage
- 2002-04-21 Venezuela coup linked to Bush team