Westboro Baptist Church
OverviewWestboro Baptist Church is a religious extremist organization supposedly espousing Christian principles. Their pastor is Fred Phelps; they are based in Topeka, Kansas.
- Conservapedia: not even Conservapedia has anything positive to say about them
SourceWatchno equivalent article (as of 2008-03-13)
- God Hates Fags (Westboro Baptist Church, Topeka, KS)
- 2010-01-29 [Talk|Index] San Francisco's Answer to Westboro Baptist Church § “Westboro Baptist Church showed up to protest in front of Twitter's San Francisco office on Thursday, but found themselves severely outnumbered by a crowd of absurdist pranksters...”
- 2008-10-31 [Talk|Index] Running from hell § a glimpse into the hell that is Westboro Baptist Church through the eyes of Fred Phelps's son Nate
- 2005-08-31 [Talk|Index] Hannity blamed "anti-war left" for protest at soldier's funeral actually organized by anti-gay church § “On the August 30 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Fox News host Sean Hannity falsely blamed "the anti-war left" for a protest at the August 28 funeral of Sgt. Jeremy Doyle of Indianapolis, who was killed while serving in Iraq. Hannity read excerpts of an article on the website of Indianapolis TV station WISH describing the protest, adding, "I guess this is just another example of how the anti-war left supports our brave troops." In fact, as The Indianapolis Star reported, the protesters were not anti-war liberals but, rather, members of Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) in Topeka, Kansas, who claim that the deaths of U.S. soldiers in Iraq are inflicted by God to punish the United States for its acceptance of gays and lesbians.”
- 2005-05-11 [Talk|Index] The Gospel as preached on North Duke Street § “The controversy, by now, is familiar. It follows the stage play The Laramie Project wherever it goes, in incendiary press releases, invariably from Topeka, Kan., to the local media. .. Two weeks ago it was Durham's turn.”
- 2005-05-06 [Talk|Index] First shots from the Westboro Baptist Church protest in Durham, NC § “Guess what? No-show for Fred Phelps at the Durham School of the Arts. The gutless, ball-less Rotting Cryptkeeper wasn't there this evening, but plenty of his supporters and children/grandchildren were there with their filth. Plenty of counter-protesters showed up. There was a ton of drive-by traffic, slowing down for the freakshow. The cops kept the counter-protestors across the street from the Phelps clan, so it was civil. Queer supporters that didn't bring signs were given sheets with "Gay? Fine by me" to hold up in silent protest.” Includes a selection of photos of the event.