On October 23, 2020, the Git repository-hosting web site GitHub received a copyright takedown request from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), citing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act but not claiming a violation thereof, for its hosting of youtube-dl (YTDL) (for which several repositories were given).
This has not prevented YTDL from operating or being installed, and has only served to hinder work on it as an open-source project.
Preliminary indications are that the YTDL project does not in fact violate the DMCA.
- GitHub: dmca/2020/10/2020-10-23-RIAA.md
- 2020-10-25 The RIAA’s attack on YouTube-dl is not a DMCA 512 infringement (Hacker News via)
- 17:58 email@example.com: numerous links to further discussion
- 19:50 firstname.lastname@example.org (Electronic Frontier Foundation) "Youtube-dl is a legitimate tool with a world of a lawful uses. Demanding its removal from Github is a disappointing and counterproductive move by the RIAA."
- 20:37 email@example.com: discussion of legal status; related links