The Fox News channel makes much of its commitment to "fair and balanced" reporting (supposedly countering the liberal media bias of other stations), while actually serving as a mouthpiece for the administration and its allies. Fox News not only slants its stories heavily toward a neoconservative point of view but (unlike true news outlets) also does not follow up when factual errors are discovered. This sort of unblinking hypocrisy is typical of the authoritarian mindset which is apparently in control of the station's editorial agenda.
Also known as: Fox "News", Faux News
"Foxâ€™s prime commitment is to the triumph of conservative politics, not to a well-informed public. From hiring hosts to selecting stories to framing questions for discussion, Fox demonstrates its dedication to advancing the ideological interests of the right." ... "Conservatives retort that other media project a liberal bias, while Fox presents a needed counterweight. The liberal bias of network news is debatable; that Fox regularly reports false and inaccurate stories designed to drum up support for their candidates and causes is beyond serious dispute." 
 Filed Links
 version 2
- 2010-07-13 [Talk|Index] Conservative media hype "not accurate" report to suggest Franken's election was "an illegal victory" § “Right-wing media have hyped Minnesota Majority's report as saying that it found illegal voting by felons may have led to Franken's victory over Coleman. However, the report does not make that claim nor does it mention Franken, Coleman, or the Senate election.”
- 2010-07-09 [Talk|Index] The greatest science "scandal" "in the history of man" predictably falls apart § “Last year, conservative climate change skeptics, in the words of Wall Street Journal's Kimberly Strassel, thought they had found a "gold mine." Conservative media figures seized on emails stolen from climate scientists and proceeded to completely distort their contents. As we pointed out repeatedly at the time, this "scandal" relied on outrageous misrepresentations of the stolen emails and did not in any way undermine the scientific consensus about climate change.”
- 2010-07-08 [Talk|Index] Beck distorts Berwick comment to claim appointment vindicates his fearmongering over rationing § “Glenn Beck claimed that a quote from Obama appointee Donald Berwick "confirms everything" Beck and Fox News had said about how health care reform would result in rationing. In fact, Beck deceptively edited Berwick's comments to remove Berwick's accurate statement that the U.S. health care system already rations.”
- 2010-04-28 [Talk|Index] My Defamation 2.0 Experience § “Today, past defamatory allegations based on an anonymous smear letter which distorted and misrepresented early online comments and writings of mine, were resurrected by Fox News. I want to say definitively: I do not defend nor support acts of sexual violence against children and have never defended pedophilia in any way.”
- 2009-10-15 [Talk|Index] Beck falsely claimed Anita Dunn "worships" "her hero" Mao Zedong § “...Glenn Beck falsely claimed that White House communications director Anita Dunn "worships" and "idolizes" "her hero" Mao Zedong. In fact, in the video that Beck aired as evidence to support his claims, Dunn offered no endorsement of Mao's ideology or atrocities...”
- 2009-10-11 [Talk|Index] Anita Dunn: Fox News An Outlet For GOP Propaganda § “White House ... communications director Anita Dunn gave a lengthy and brutal denunciation of Fox News, calling the cable outlet a vehicle for Republican Party propaganda and an ideological opponent of the president.”
- 2008-11-07 [Talk|Index] Watching Them Squirm: Is Fox News Abandoning the Mob It Created? § Fox News follows McCain's lead and takes the high road on Obama's victory, leaving the misinformed and inflamed mob they helped to create feeling angry and abandoned.
- 2008-07-09 [Talk|Index] Photoshop of Horrors: The Frightful Faces of Fox News § “...Fox & Friends, the Fox News program hosted by Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeade, ...aired doctored photos of two New York Times reporters who had dared to write semi-critically of Roger Ailes's right-leaning cable network.”
- 2008-07-07 [Talk|Index] When Fox News Is the Story § “Like most working journalists, whenever I type seven letters – Fox News – a series of alarms begins to whoop in my head: Danger. Warning. Much mayhem ahead.”
- 2008-06-30 [Talk|Index] Domination and Protecting the Status Quo - Authoritarians Do Whatever it Takes § “Here are some recent examples of what these authoritarians might do and the tools they will use to get their way. .. Bill Kristol, the son of Irving Kristol, is a good place to start.”
- 2008-05-27 [Talk|Index] Same Joke, More Regret § “Discussing Senator Hillary Rodham Clintonâ€™s reference last week to the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy during the 1968 primary season, the Fox analyst, Liz Trotta, said Sunday that "now we have what some are reading as a suggestion that somebody knock off Osama, um, Obama â€” well, both, if we could."”
- 2008-04-09 [Talk|Index] Flunked, Not Expelled: Not Even Fox Likes It § as PZ Myers observes, "you know a right wing Christianist propaganda film is bad when even Fox News pans it."
- 2008-03-21 [Talk|Index] Mayhem At Fox News: Anchor Walks Off Set, Wallace Rails Network For "Obama-Bashing" § “This morning on "Fox and Friends," Brian Kilmeade walked off the set after a dispute with his co-hosts ... over Obama's comment that his grandmother is a "typical white person." Kilmeade argued that the remark needed to be taken in context and eventually got so fed up with his co-hosts that he walked off set. .. Later, "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace came on the show and railed against "Fox and Friends" for what he called "Obama-bashing."”
- 2008-02-07 [Talk|Index] Fox Begins to Warm to John McCain § Two guests on Neil Cavuto's Fox News show gave positive assessments of John McCain.
- 2008-02-07 [Talk|Index] FNC Puts McCain In the Democratic Party § image from the start of "Your World with Neil Cavuto" labeling John McCain as a Democrat. A Fox News "insider" reportedly says this was merely gross incompetence on the part of a producer.
- 2008-01-31 [Talk|Index] Republicans make Fox News sick § “Bottom line is that Fox News is in for a very rough 2008. And the umbrella reason for that is quite simple: Eight years ago the all-news cable channel went all-in on the presidency of George W. Bush and became a broadcast partner with the White House. Proof of that was on display Sunday night, Jan. 27, during Fox News' prime-time "Fighting to the Finish," a "historic documentary" on the final year of Bush's presidency. Filmed in HD and featuring "unprecedented access," according to the Fox News press release, the show was pure propaganda. ...Fox News years ago made an obvious decision to appeal almost exclusively to Republican viewers. The good news then for Fox News was that it succeeded. The bad news now for Fox News is that it succeeded.”
- 2008-01-22 [Talk|Index] Media Study Claims Bush Administration Lied Hundreds of Times About Iraq § “A study by two nonprofit journalism organizations found that President Bush and top administration officials issued hundreds of false statements about the national security threat from Iraq in the two years following the 2001 terrorist attacks.” (syndicated reposting of AP report)
- 2007-11-21 [Talk|Index] O'Reilly: "War" on Christmas part of "secular progressive agenda" that includes "legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage" § “...decrying the purported "war" on Christmas, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly claimed that "it's all part of the secular progressive agenda ... to get Christianity and spirituality and Judaism out of the public square."”
- 2007-10-27 [Talk|Index] FOX News Labels Dissent As Anarchy § “As I continued to watch, the anchors mentioned the anti-war protester who confronted Condoleezza Rice and they went on to call these people/movements anarchists and fascists in a new and different form. They further commented on the internet as being a hot-bed of dissent and contributing to this very serious, growing problem in America.”
- 2007-02-21 [Talk|Index] FOX ATTACKS OBAMA §
- 2007-01-23 [Talk|Index] Debunked Insight Magazine and Fox News Smear Campaign § “Insight Magazine published these allegations without a single named source, and without doing any independent reporting to confirm or deny the allegations. Fox News quickly parroted the charges, and Fox and Friends host Steve Doocy went so far as to ask, â€œWhy didnâ€™t anybody ever mention that that man right there was raised â€” spent the first decade of his life, raised by his Muslim father â€” as a Muslim and was educated in a Madrassa?â€ .. All of the claims about Senator Obama raised in the Insight Magazine piece were thoroughly debunked by CNN, which, instead of relying on unnamed sources, sent a reporter to Obamaâ€™s former school in Jakarta to check the facts.” (emphasis is in original)
- 2007-01-22 [Talk|Index] Hillary Clinton Drops Madrassa Bomb on Barack Obama § “The gloves are off: Hillary Clinton is reported to be already digging up the dirt on Barack Obama. .. The New York senator has reportedly outed Obama's madrassa past. That's right, the Clinton team is reported to have pulled out all the stops to reveal something Obama would rather you didn't know: that he was educated in a Muslim madrassa.” The claim is false on both counts.
- 2007-01-19 [Talk|Index] Obama Smeared As Former â€˜Madrassaâ€™ Student, Possible Covert Muslim Extremist § (includes Fox News video) “The Fox hosts failed to correct the false claim that Obama is Muslim. One caller, referring to Obama, said, â€œI think a Muslim would be fine in the presidency, better than Hillary. At least you know what the Muslims are up to.â€ Anchor Gretchen Carlson responded, â€œWe want to be clear, too, that this isnâ€™t all Muslims, of course, we would only be concerned about the kind that want to blow us up.â€”
- 2006-05-12 [Talk|Index] Poll: of Non Fox News Viewers, 64% support Censure of George W Bush, 75% Want Cheney Impeachment Investigation Started. § “These findings make it clear that Fox News is more than just an ugly, dishonest, partisan propaganda tool of the extreme right wing. It is an enemy of democracy that deserves the concentrated attention and focus of patriotic Americans who believe in the constitution and democracy.”
- 2005-08-31 [Talk|Index] Hannity blamed "anti-war left" for protest at soldier's funeral actually organized by anti-gay church § “On the August 30 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Fox News host Sean Hannity falsely blamed "the anti-war left" for a protest at the August 28 funeral of Sgt. Jeremy Doyle of Indianapolis, who was killed while serving in Iraq. Hannity read excerpts of an article on the website of Indianapolis TV station WISH describing the protest, adding, "I guess this is just another example of how the anti-war left supports our brave troops." In fact, as The Indianapolis Star reported, the protesters were not anti-war liberals but, rather, members of Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) in Topeka, Kansas, who claim that the deaths of U.S. soldiers in Iraq are inflicted by God to punish the United States for its acceptance of gays and lesbians.”
- 2001-09-11 [Talk|Index] Never seen before!: Fox news 5 reports WTC 7 collapse before it happens § Video shows Fox News commentator announcing the collapse of WTC7 about half a minute before it actually collapses on the screen behind his head.
- 2007-03-20 Hounding Fox News coverage by Mark Mellman
- 2007-04-04 The real Fox News Democrats by Alex Koppelman: How the "Fair and Balanced" network pits Democrats against their own party
- 2007-03-15 Dance, Foxholes, Dance!
- 2007-03-05 Fox News buries the lead on Walter Reed