Jump to navigation Jump to search
- link: http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/90659/debt-ceiling-obama-congress
- source: New Republic
- date: June 24, 2011 12:00 am
- author: Matthew Zeitlin
- title: The Debt Ceiling: Why Obama Should Just Ignore It
- summary: The argument goes like this: Because Congress already appropriated the funds in question, it is the executive branch's duty to enact those appropriations. The debt ceiling, then, is legislative "double-counting," because the executive branch is obligated to spend the money Congress appropriates, without having to go back and ask again for permission.
- topics: 2011 US debt ceiling US/separation of powers