Death of Roe
The "Death of Roe" refers to the now-expected overturn of the Supreme Court's landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision [W] which made it illegal for states to outlaw abortion. This decision has been affirmed by SCOTUS countless times since, and yet the six "conservatives" now on the GOP-packed bench see no problem in overturning what has been well-established precedent for five decades.
- /Matt Gaetz on "overeducated women"
- /minor travel: minors are having to cross state lines in order to obtain abortions
- 2022-05-17 Clarence Thomas Is Simply Radiating Hypocrisy Following Supreme Court Leak « unlike some of his colleagues, along with members of Congress and a seemingly endless parade of political pundits, who have all been worried about how this leak might undermine America's opinion of the court, Thomas seems to be saying that it’s his trust in us that's at risk.»
- 2022-05-11 Alito’s draft opinion overturning Roe is still the only one circulated inside Supreme Court ...«none of the conservative justices who initially sided with Alito have to date switched their votes. No dissenting draft opinions have circulated from any justice, including the three liberals.»
- 2022-05-08 Supreme Court in disarray: New leaks reveal Roberts' own preferred Roe reversal
- 2022-05-04 DKos: The content matters far more, but evidence says a rwnj gave us the draft - speculation about motives for the leak: hypothesizes that it was a right-winger who didn't want to leave any room for the right-wing justices to back down (this doesn't make sense to me, though, since SCOTUS justices are carefully isolated from the need for donations etc.)
- 2022-08-10 AP: EXPLAINER: Online privacy in a post-Roe world: uses the Nebraska case as an example
- 2022-06-23 DB Samantha Bee Goes on With COVID to 'Raise Hell' Over Roe Decision(h/t) «Three generations haven’t experienced a world in which people had no choice but to throw themselves down stairs, ingest bleach, or use knitting needles, scissors, and coat hangers. [..] Medical advances mean we shouldn’t have to go back there! But it is insane that a Supreme Court that doesn’t represent the majority of Americans will cause women more death and suffering.» «Make no mistake, this is not where it ends. [..] Conservatives will not rest until they have come for all our rights. Everything we have fought for could be lost, unless we take it back.»
- 2022-05-08 HuffPo op-ed: The Threat To Our Communities Comes From Anti-Abortion Laws, Not Abortion (opinion, by an MD who provides abortions in NY) «[Roe v. Wade] made abortion legal up to "viability," a nebulous concept that varies but is commonly defined as 24 weeks. In 2021, Texas enacted a new anti-abortion law (called “SB8”) that made abortion illegal past about six weeks – a time when most people don’t even realize they’re pregnant. Although this law is still being fought in federal courts, it has remained in effect for over eight months»
- 2022-05-07 NBC: Black women in the South have been bracing for Roe’s fall for decades
- ProPub: Draft Overturning Roe v. Wade Quotes Infamous Witch Trial Judge With Long-Discredited Ideas on Rape (via) «Justice Alito’s leaked opinion cites Sir Matthew Hale, a 17th-century jurist who conceived the notion that husbands can’t be prosecuted for raping their wives, who sentenced women to death as "witches," and whose misogyny stood out even in his time.»
- Beau5C: Let's talk about why the democrats didn't codify.... (video, 8m15s, Beau of the 5th Column): this is the opening shot
- 2022-05-04 DKos: Alito cites racist eugenics theory to support overturn of Roe v. Wade «Alito pivots to the white savior role, actually attempting to justify that the removal of reproductive rights somehow aligns with a fight against racism—even citing the same misrepresented statistics used by pro-choice activists advocating for eugenics.» This looks like the abortion is black genocide argument again.
- ProPub: "This Was Not a Surprise": How the Pro-Choice Movement Lost the Battle for Roe (h/t)
- House Judiciary GOP tweet: «Still trying to find the word “abortion” in the Constitution.»
- 2022-05-05 DKos: This Republican tweet counted on people not having read the Constitution. Whoops: many things they consider important are also not in the Constitution -- and the Constitution explicitly states that the rights it does list (among which is "«The right of the people to be secure in their persons»") should not be construed as the only rights under protection.
- 2022-05-02 WaPo: The next frontier for the antiabortion movement: A nationwide ban$ (archive.org) The next frontier for the antiabortion movement: A nationwide ban
about what will happen after Roe is dead:
- 2022-07-11 TRN: Roe v. Wade is gone. A wave of criminalization is coming.$
- 2022-05-06 CoDr: Experts Warn GOP War on Abortion Will Turn Red and Blue States Into 'Mutually Hostile Legal Territories' «Abortion could be outlawed in up to 26 states as soon as next month, with no exceptions for rape or incest in 11 states, according to the Guttmacher Institute.» Meanwhile, blue states are preparing to be abortion sanctuaries.
- 2022-05-03 Vice: Totalitarian Patriarchy Isn’t a Fantasy. It Looks Like This. (h/t via) «These stories imagine easily understood turning points at which it becomes clear that nothing will ever be the same. This is a failure of imagination.»
- https://girlcock.club/@maeve/108240660916709765 "penumbra of rights"
- https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/1521632749219680257 "deeply rooted in history"
- https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1521319660125306880 "deeply rooted in history"
- https://twitter.com/elliotcwilliams/status/1521315457613107201 - specific decisions likely to be overturned
- 2022-05-07 Sen. Mitch McConnell said a national abortion ban would be 'possible' if Roe v. Wade is overturned
apologia & hypocrisy
- 2022-07-29 Samuel Alito mocks foreign critics of repealing Roe v. Wade in Rome speech on religious liberty «"Religious liberty is under attack in many places because it is dangerous to those who want to hold complete power," Alito said. "It also probably grows out of something dark and deep in the human DNA -- a tendency to distrust and dislike people who are not like ourselves," he added.» Their liberty is more important than ours. He also claimed that religion promotes "domestic tranquility."
- 2022-05-08 Republicans Double Down On Reversing Abortion Rights, Offer Hearts To Pregnant Women
- 2022-05-07 Critics Erupt After Clarence Thomas Tells Americans To Deal With It On Roe v. Wade
- 2022-05-02 Roe Vs. Wade Overturned
- 2022-05-04 Guidelines: Handling discussions referencing the Supreme Court's draft decision on abortion
- 2022-07-20 Congress Gets a Lesson in How to Self-Manage an Abortion «It is one mifepristone pill, followed by four misoprostol pills, dissolved under the tongue, 24 to 48 hours later. [..] Or, a series of 12 misoprostol pills, four at a time, dissolved under the tongue, every three hours. There’s no way to test it in the bloodstream, and a person doesn’t need to tell the police what they took.»
- 2022-07-12 Nonfiction Views: Publishers respond to the Roe v. Wade decision, and this week's new releases «[In the past 8 weeks], publishers revisited backlists, adjusted pub dates, rushed paperback editions, and ordered second printings of titles concerning reproductive rights. Booksellers, too, mobilized with shelf displays and fundraisers, taking to the streets and social media to demand justice and solidarity.»
- 2022-05-12 More Than a Dozen Companies Set To Reimburse Abortion Travel Expenses
- How U.S. companies are supporting workers on abortion
- Governor Murphy urges Congress to protect abortion access in advance of Supreme Court ruling «federal lawmakers must act to protect and codify abortion rights as New Jersey legislators recently did, Gov. Phil Murphy said Tuesday.»
- Amazon (despite their apparent support for anti-abortion groups):
- 2022-05-03 Amazon Will Offer Employees Travel Reimbursements for Non-Life-Threatening Medical Procedures, Including Abortion (via h/t) «In response to a slew of GOP-backed efforts to curb access to abortion, Amazon announced it will pay up to $4,000 in travel expenses annually for non-life-threatening medical treatments, including abortion»
- 2022-05-02 BBC: Amazon will pay US staff travel expenses for abortions and other treatments
- The US Navy offered something similar.
- 2022-07-13 Youngkin's biggest problem on abortion isn’t Democrats: Glenn Youngkin; 5th District Republican Rep. Bob Good: «Republicans should not be negotiating the timeline on when abortion should be permitted or when abortion is OK or when it's OK to take life in the womb. Republicans ought to stand openly, boldly, and unashamedly for life from conception and to protect all life in the womb.» They clearly consider wombs to be their property.
- democracy.town/@MariaHill «Pay attention to these fights in states like Virginia, where even though Republicans have taken over part of state government, there are still a lot of Democrats in power. Virginia elected Republican governor Youngkin and Republicans control the state House, but Democrats still hold the state Senate. [...]»
- 2022-06-28 Fear, Uncertainty, and Period Trackers