< ElectionJump to navigation Jump to search
Despite much discussion of 3rd party candidates on social networking sites, and considerable IRL campaigning by Gary Johnson, no 3rd party was able to make significant headway in the polls.
Independent / 3rd Party
- Bob Hall - candidacy annountement (Vimeo), Facebook
- One argument to pick: he argues that taxes on corporations are ultimately passed on to individuals; this is bogus. If that were true, then corporate tax cuts would also be passed on to individuals, which is clearly not the case. (On the positive side, this argument at least makes some sense of the "FairTax" idea, even if it is based on an incorrect assumption.)
- Gary Johnson - libertarian; former Governor of New Mexico (Republican)
- Jerome White - socialist
- Jill Stein - Green Party - "Green New Deal"
- Laurence Kotlikoff - Americans Elect
- Michealene Risley - Americans Elect
- Rocky Anderson - interacts on Reddit
- Buddy Roemer (campaign, Ning): Lawrence Lessig has referred to him as a rootstriker (if I understand correctly)
Jon Huntsman, Jr. (Wikipedia, campaign site)
- withdrew on 2012-01-15 - NYT
- believes in evolution and global warming (Twitter)
- disapproves of Obamacare (campaign site): "[Obama] wasted an entire year pushing through a government health care plan that the American people didn't ask for and businesses can't afford."
- Mitt Romney
Rick Santorumsuspended campaign on 2012-04-10
- 2014-04-24 [L..T] In 2014, it's like deja vu all over again "Bill Kristol, the Republican National Committee, and conservatives everywhere instead dug into the internals to declare the poll is... skewed. It's as if 2012 has already escaped their memories."
- 2014-03-11 [L..T] CHART: Koch Spends More Than Double Top 10 Unions Combined "For the last election, Koch PAC spent $4.9 million in disclosed contributions (figures that appear on the chart referenced by Strassel). But they also spent over $407 million on undisclosed campaign entities, which does not show up in the CRP chart."
- 2012-10-20T21:17:00 [L..T] Harris-Perry: "Disgusting" voter-suppression tactics still spreading Besides billboards in Ohio and Wisconsin threatening enormous fines and prison sentences for "voter fraud," Harris-Perry noted the appearance of a Spanish-language billboard spotted in Pennsylvania telling voters, "Si Quieres Votar Muéstrala," or, "If you want to vote, show it," a reference to the state voter identification law that was largely struck down in court earlier this month.
- 2012-10-19T18:24:00 [L..T] Third instance of voter registration dumping found in Virginia A third instance of fraudulent voter registration has been uncovered in the important swing state of Virginia, where a Republican consultant has been arrested and thousands of discarded voter registration forms were recovered from a dumpster earlier this week.
- 2012-09-10 [L..T] Mitt Romney's epic incompetence I've been following politics for many years; I've written a book on presidential campaigns and I've delved quite a bit into the minutiae of the 2012 campaign. And I'm increasingly convinced that Mitt Romney is the worst national politician I've ever seen.