evil with good intentions
In situations where harm is done deliberately in the hope of achieving overall benefit, the resulting gray area can be resolved by answering the following questions:
- Did the actor make a reasonable attempt to find less-harmful alternatives?
- Did the actor examine all available alternatives before choosing?
- Did the actor attempt to consult those who would be harmed by the choice s/he finally made (or advocates thereof)?
- Did the actor document the reasons for that final choice, and adequately explain why it was the best of the available choices?
- Did the actor attempt to answer any objections raised before making her/his decision?
- In the event that any of the above questions cannot be answered "yes", is there a good reason for this?