George W. Bush/elevation of presidential power
These efforts have greatly hindered investigation of corruption in his administration, and opened the door for much further corruption.
In general, Bush seems to be trying to remove the restraints (checks and balances) on presidential power which are intended to prevent corruption at the highest levels of government. He has stated repeatedly that he feels free to reinterpret or ignore the law as he sees fit, which runs completely counter to the rules set up by the Constitution.
- The Hidden State Steps Forward by Jonathan Schell (and some commentary by David Brin)
- Power Grab
- 2007-07-22 When executive privilege becomes executive disdain (house editorial, International Herald Tribune)
- 2006-09-29 Gonzales Cautions Judges on Interfering (alt): "Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who is defending President Bush's anti-terrorism tactics in multiple court battles, said Friday that federal judges should not substitute their personal views for the president's judgments in wartime." Judges are not supposed to be swayed by anything but the evidence in the case and the law; suggesting that a judge should go along with political pressure undermines the whole point of having judges who are not also political officials. Gonzales clearly does not believe in the separation of powers, and Bush has not seen fit to correct his misunderstanding.
- 2006-08-17 Judge: "There Are No Hereditary Kings in America" by Paul Kiel: warrantless wiretapping is ruled illegal
- 2006-07-24 American Bar Association (says) Bush violating Constitution
- 2006-02-21 Bush's Mysterious 'New Programs' by Nat Parry: raises a number of alarming points, with the "new programs" being only the cream on top. "Given Bush’s now open assertions that he is using his “plenary” – or unlimited – powers as Commander in Chief for the duration of the indefinite War on Terror, Americans can no longer trust that their constitutional rights protect them from government actions."
- illegal wiretapping
- 2006-10-18(?): Signed H.R. 5122, John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007, which gives the President expanded power to declare martial law 
- 2006-04-02 Signed the USA PATRIOT Act Additional Reauthorizing Amendments Act of 2006 [W]