The Initiative Collective is "a grassroots group of volunteers who have banded together across states and countries to empower people in their communities" – in other words, is a citizen infrastructure group dedicated to citizen empowerment.
It was founded on October 3, 2009 as The New York Initiative with a mission of protecting sex workers in New York City from the Long Island Serial Killer. Their emphasis was on providing the workers with services rather than physical presence or defense.
- email: NYInitiativespam@spamgmailspam.spamcom
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NewYorkInitiative
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/321Initiative
- a set of specific instructions for safe dating, using a friend as emergency backup
- for those with no friend available, they provide the following:
- a phone number to call
- a set of code words and numbers (to signal danger without necessarily tipping off a dangerous date)
- practical martial arts training
- improvised weapons training (e.g. pens, phones, keys)
All of their services are provided free of charge.
- [https://www.facebook.com/NewYorkInitiative/info/?tab=page_info The Initiative - Collective