Issuepedia:Filing Room/to file/2006
- found 2006-12-15:
- Dark Christianity: "Exploring and Exposing Dominionist Christianity"
- Counselling by the Bible, Creation, Charismatic errors, Essays by Malcolm Bowden
- 2005 Economics diary/blog by John Baez: includes discussions of ecology and related fields; links to 2004 and 2003 diaries
- found 2006-12-12: Overcoming Bias blog
- found 2006-12-08: Conspiracy Theories: may be trying to discredit any kind of conspiracy theory, or may be simply trying to bring some rationality to the discussion; worth examining for points of attack on any conspiracy theory including 9/11-related
- 2006-11-15 Message To West Point: an excerpt from the Sol Feinstone Lecture on The Meaning of Freedom by Bill Moyers: makes salient points on a number of significant issues
- these colors... not so much "run" as "fade" (image, for possible article on how patriotism gets all caught up in symbolism, especially about the flag, and forgets about realities)
- relevant bits for eventual articles on Israel, Palestine, Middle East: Munich massacre, Operation Wrath of God, Yasser Arafat, Fatah (secular), Hamas (Islamic)
- found 2006-11-21; Crisis in the Middle East: Bloggers Report: links to blogs based in the Middle East
- 2006-10-17 The Anti-Paranoid Style in American Politics: article about how it seems to be fashionable to dismiss conspiracy theories by simply labeling them as "conspiracy theories", rather than actually discussing the alleged facts. Comments mention Project MKULTRA, an actual CIA project which sounds like raving paranoia when taken out of context. Possibly for conspiracy theories article? Article about how useless the press is these days?
- found 2006-10-06: Gary Trauner, Wyoming Democrat for Congress
- found 2006-09-22: Ricardo Semler – some interesting business ideas applied successfully in the real world
- found 2006-09-19, 2 similar essays by Sheldon S. Wolin: Inverted Totalitarianism (2003-05-01) and A Kind of Fascism Is Replacing Our Democracy (2003-07-18)
- 2006-09-07: Islam-Haters: An Enemy Within by Ralph Peters: against extremism in any form
- found 2006-09-11 (dated 1999-12) book reviews: Forcing God’s Hand: Why Millions Pray for a Quick Rapture—And the Destruction of Planet Earth and One Nation Under Israel
- 2006-08-28: discussion section in "Ironies Compounded by Ironies..." has some considerable discussion along the lines of modernism vs. romanticism or perhaps enlightenment vs. feudalism
- 2006-08-17: Federal judge rules warrantless wiretapping surveillance program unconstitutional (Associated Press)
- found 2006-08-15: The Department of Homeland Stupidity
- 2006-07-17: America’s Broken Bootstraps by Leanne Shear, WireTap
- references 2004-12-29 Ever higher society, ever harder to ascend
- Russia's Signal to Stations Is Clear: Cut U.S. Radio Censorship on the rise again in the former Soviet Union?
- Al-Qaeda 'bid to infiltrate MI5' (related: ) story includes a number of interesting details:
- Al Qaeda is perhaps not as fragmented (post-Afghanistan) as some have claimed
- "the flow of new [terrorism-related] cases shows no sign of abating - if anything it is accelerating."
- polls indicate that around 400,000 people in the UK are sympathetic to violent jihad around the world
- "The editor of al-Hayat newspaper in London, Maher Othman, believes that humiliation is now a major factor in radicalising someone to the point of violence."
- found 2006-06-18: The Birth of War by R. Brian Ferguson: preliminary results of a survey of war in early civilization indicates that it wasn't as common as previously thought
- 2006-06-12: The Mommy Wage Gap: gender issues, family values...
- found 2006-06-09: Milgram experiment – for eventual article on Psychology? Also ChangingMinds
- 2006-06-08: Anonymity in the Age of Full Disclosure by Elizabeth Daley, WireTap
- found 2006-06-08: WorldNetDaily: described elsewhere as "extreme right-wing"; is it? It certainly seems conservative/Christian in general nature...
- found 2006-05-31: Alliance for the Separation of School and State (alt)
- http://www.alternet.org/story/36328/ How the Right Stole the '60s by Astra Taylor, AlterNet: makes some interesting allegations which deserve further research
- found: Moderate Voters .org and Judicial Watch
- 2006-05-16: How the Drug Companies Want Us to Be Sick by Stan Cox, AlterNet (for eventual alternative medicine article?)
- 2006-05-15: Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling: check out the "comments" section, and note that there is no evidence (either in the article or in comments) that ABC was in any way involved with obtaining classified information (slashdot)
- http://www.samizdata.net/ seems to be primarily British, but I haven't read it thoroughly
- 2006-04-05: a bill Microsoft Corp. helped write ... will open your personal information to warrantless searches: as I understand it, this might even apply to any titchy little utility you download off the net; if the EULA gives the software author permission to mess with your hard drive, then they can do so and you couldn't take any action against them. Picture virus authors putting together quicky "helpful" utilities and slapping on a permissive EULA just to get legal access to more computers.
- 2006-03-26 Military's 'good Muslim' to speak at Duke: James Yee was held on charges "which later evaporated"
- 2006-03-11 Former top Bush aide arrested for theft: need to accumulate a list of wrongdoings in Bush's administration versus those in previous administrations; Brin often states that Clinton's administration had not one single conviction (how many accusations, and from whom?)
- found 2006-02-16:
- Artificial Intelligence From the Bible: file under Unusual interpretations of the Bible, maybe? Main site seems to be crusading against scientific fundamentalism, so should probably be filed somewhere too.
- xshirox journal entry: maybe for page listing Interesting Discussions on topics that don't necessarily fit squarely into an Issuepedia page but nonetheless touch on a lot of relevant topics
- 2006-02-09 Your taste in music is shaped by the crowd agrees with the more general study in consumer bias favors market leader
- 2006-01-30 What pit bulls can teach us about profiling: a lesson in the importance of analysis in policymaking
- found 2006-01-30: Kleercut: Kimberly-Clark's destructive tree harvesting practices (corporations article?)
- Monkey cops keep clans together: material for possible article on human social organization (here or in Soc/Psych section of HTYP?)
- Hurricane Katrina: Who was hit? Who will return?
- EVEN WITH MORE FREE TIME, WOMEN FEEL NO LESS RUSHED, STUDY FINDS
- 2006-01-24 Unhappy marriages detrimental to self-esteem and health
- found 2006-01-19 Republicans for Humility "Country before Party"; Patriots to Restore Checks and Balances
- found 2006-01-18 A Force More Powerful: seems related to Anti-War
- 2006-01-11 New Orleans residents bulldoze city workers: the real estate industry is apparently using "cleanup" as an excuse to claim property in NOLA; see also The Second Battle of New Orleans
- 2006-01-10 Anthroposophic lifestyle reduces risk of allergic disease in children: for alternative medicine article either here or in HTYP (homeopathy)
- found 2006-01-10:   - possible fodder for more Rhetorical Deceptions
- 2006-01-09 Role models influence ethical behavior
- 2006-01-08 GMOs: Unborn babies could be harmed: data that GMOs are harmful, and also GWB wants to force Europe to use them
- found 2006-01-07
- The Future Is Here, But Do News Media Companies See It?: possible inspiration for a discussion of how newspapers should maintain an online Issuepedia-like catalog of leads, photos, data, etc. as part of the process of reinventing themselves
- Is religion a virus?
- Rhetorical Goons: about debating with Christians
- What to do about rational discontents?, i.e. those who malign the idea of rational discourse
- '2006-01-05 Abstinence is healthy goal for teenagers but research critiques abstinence-only educational policies: for eventual Sex Education article