Jump to navigation Jump to search
- link: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/06/20/everything you think you know about the collapse of the soviet union is wrong?page=full
- title: Everything You Think You Know About the Collapse of the Soviet Union Is Wrong
- date: 2011-06-19
- author: Leon Aron
- source: Foreign Policy
- topics: USSR/collapse revolution
- Jul 11 07:11:36 <TheWoozle> Dunno if I trust FP's take on anything, though...
- Jul 11 07:12:50 <TheWoozle> Lots of DC insiders on the contributor list, including Philip Zelikow, who is Teh Eville.
- Jul 11 07:15:31 <TheWoozle> And the author of the Russian piece, Leon Aron, is apparently the American Enterprise Institute's Russia guy. "Leon Aron's work forms the core of the institute's program on Russia."
- Jul 11 07:25:33 <TheWoozle> AEI = pro-biz (neo)conservatism
- Jul 11 07:25:37 <TheWoozle> "Some AEI scholars are considered to be some of the leading architects of the second Bush administration's public policy. More than twenty AEI scholars and fellows served either in a Bush administration policy post or on one of the government's many panels and commissions."
- Jul 11 07:34:15 <TheWoozle> So a more accurate title would probably be "We Want to Make Sure that You Don't Get Any Useful Ideas from the Collapse of the Soviet Union"
- Jul 11 07:35:14 <TheWoozle> Or possibly "Most of What You Know About the Collapse of the Soviet Union Is Essentially Correct, But We Don't Want You to Realize How Significant This Is"
- Jul 11 07:36:46 <TheWoozle> "LIKE VIRTUALLY ALL modern revolutions, the latest Russian one was started by a hesitant liberalization "from above""... thus justifying the current de-liberalizations of American society. Wouldn't want it to collapse, now, would we, guvnor?