Sex reassignment surgery/misrepresentation
As with all effective therapies for gender dysphoria, there are frequent attempts to present SRS as unnecessary or harmful, typically in an effort to demean transgender people or deny them proper care.
- Walt Heyer:
- Sex Change Regret, a site by Walt Heyer: presents views that contradict the scientific consensus
- Sex Change Info by Walt Heyer: same applies
- 2015-06-02 What The Media Should Know About Walt Heyer And "Transition Regrets"
- Jerry Leach
- 2013-12-24 Jerry Leach Experience
Walt Heyer and Jerry Leach, both of whom have apparently made careers out of their surgery regrets, allegedly both lied to their therapists in order to get surgery recommendations. (Still trying to track down this claim.)
Personal note: the one SRS recipient I know who has regretted undergoing it was largely coerced into doing so by a doctor who threatened to withhold other treatment (HRT) unless the recipient agreed to the surgery. This is why it is so important to confirm that the subject wants SRS. Woozle (talk) 13:46, 21 June 2020 (UTC)
- 2018/03/05 [L..T] Sex Change: Physically Impossible, Psychosocially Unhelpful, and Philosophically Misguided "Modern medicine can’t reassign sex physically, and attempting to do so doesn’t produce good outcomes psychosocially. Here is the evidence." Article presents evidence to the contrary, ignores it, and repeatedly concludes that selected ideologues are prima facie correct.
- 2016/05/13 [L..T] Transgender Surgery Isn't the Solution “...policy makers and the media are doing no favors either to the public or the transgendered by treating their confusions as a right in need of defending rather than as a mental disorder that deserves understanding, treatment and prevention.”
- 2004/11/01 [L..T] Why We Stopped Doing Sex Change Operations “Those I met after surgery would tell me that the surgery and hormone treatments that had made them “women” had also made them happy and contented. None of these encounters were persuasive, however. The post-surgical subjects struck me as caricatures of women.”
- 2004/07/30 [L..T] Sex changes are not effective, say researchers “There is no conclusive evidence that sex change operations improve the lives of transsexuals, with many people remaining severely distressed and even suicidal after the operation, according to a medical review conducted exclusively for Guardian Weekend tomorrow.” This article misleadingly represents what is known about the effects of SRS, and the headline is an outright lie.