Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse
The unexpected heavy oscillation and subsequent collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge on 1940-11-07 is an event well known to engineers. Film of the collapse is frequently shown to engineering, architecture, and physics students as a cautionary tale.
- Tacoma Narrows Bridge: Wikipedia
- color footage 05:56 - multiple angles; lots of post-collapse footage
- color footage 01:04 - shows opening ceremony (rock steady), then shows bridge oscillating gently but in use nonetheless, then the usual footage of the collapse
- color documentary 04:12 - with engineering details
- b&w newsreel 02:34 - complete with sound effects