This page is about the 2003 United States-led invasion of Iraq ordered by George W. Bush and beginning on 2003-03-20, which officially started the US-Iraq War; the invasion phase officially ended on 2003-05-01 with the toppling of Saddam Hussein's government, Iraqi infrastructure in US hands and with Bush's arrival on the USS Abraham Lincoln and the infamous "Mission Accomplished" banner. The US has continued to occupy Iraq despite mounting costs in both dollars and lives and despite growing opposition both within the US and internationally.
The one positive effect was to get rid of Saddam, but it should be noted that his rise to power was originally supported by the US. It's fair enough to say "when Saddam went the wrong way, we took him down again -- we keep our house clean", but then why did we stand by and allow him to be executed? Why did we stop short of continuing on to Baghdad during the original Gulf War in 1993, when the citizens there rose up against Saddam at our request and trusting in our promise to keep them safe? It would seem, in the absence of satisfactory answers to these questions, that the US's behavior with respect to Iraq has been substantially less than honorable.
- 2002-10-16 Iraq Resolution: the official "declaration of war" required before military force can be used
- The invasion and occupation of Iraq are part of the Bush administration's "war on terror".
- US justifications for invading Iraq
- Balkans vs. Iraq: a day-and-night comparison of the two interventions
- Anti-War and Militarism News
- 2005-07-18 Report: invasion of Iraq provided boost for Al-Qaeda
- 2003-03-31 President Updates America on Operations Liberty Shield and Iraqi Freedom: Remarks by the President at the Port of Philadelphia
- 2003-03-29 President Discusses Iraqi Freedom Progress in Radio Address: Radio Address by the President to the Nation
- 2003-03-23 President Discusses Military Operation: Remarks by the President in Press Availability Upon Return From Camp David
- 2003-03-22 President Discusses Beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom: President's Radio Address
- 2003-03-19 U.S. President George W. Bush has announced that war against Iraq has begun.
- 2003-03-08 War on Terror: President's Radio Address
- "Drat Saddam, a mad dastard!" is a palindrome.