Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mayor Will Announce Plan to Ban Unsanctioned Camping Across Portland and Build 500-Capacity Homeless "Campuses"2022/10/14 00:08
- URL: https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2022/10/13/mayor-will-announce-plan-to-ban-unsanctioned-camping-across-portland-build-500-person-homeless-campuses/
- Posted: October 13, 2022 5:08 pm PDT
- Topics: War on Homeless People US/OR/Portland
- Summary: «Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler plans next week to announce a sweeping strategy to ban unsanctioned camping across the city and build three massive sanctioned camping areas, called "campuses," each with capacity for 500 people. [..] Each campus would be divided into four camps with a 125-person capacity.» «The city will seek to hire an outside contractor to run the three campuses.»
- 2022-10-13 emilyst@Twitter «Yo these are concentration camps»
- This was submitted on Discord with the comment "Sanctuary is coming".
- I guess it depends on how much agency gets taken away.
- Are homeless people allowed to leave the "campuses"?
- Are homeless people required to sleep there? (If they're making street-sleeping illegal everywhere else, then yes)
- What services will be provided (restrooms? food? basic medical?)
«the sight of large camps along Portland highways is a political millstone for her and other statewide Dems in tight contests.» -- you'd think the opposite would be true, since it's GOP "fiscally conservative" policies that cause homelessness.