2014/05/30/House votes to restrict DEA marijuana raids
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- when: 2014/05/30
- author: Steve Benen
- source: The MaddowBlog MSNBC
- topics: US/gov/DEA cannabis legalization war on drugs Dana Rohrabacher Sam Farr
- keywords medical marijuana marijuana legalization
- link: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/house-votes-restrict-dea-marijuana-raids
- title: House votes to restrict DEA marijuana raids
- summary: «The roll call on the vote is here. Note that it passed largely with Democratic support – the vast majority of Dems voted for it; a clear majority of Republicans voted against it – but the measure was backed by a bipartisan group of co-sponsors.»
At issue is a routine spending bill: providing federal funding for a variety of agencies, including the Justice Department, which occasionally enforces federal drug laws by raiding marijuana facilities in states where medical pot sales are legal.
The amendment intends to block federal law enforcement from doing so in the future.