“recreational” abortionaka “contraceptive abortion” or “using abortion as contraception”
The phrase "recreational abortion" is a loaded term which refers to the practice of copulating without proper contraception in the expectation of being able to easily obtain an abortion if pregnancy results.
It is an appeal to shame (sex-shaming) and a misrepresentation of the overwhelming majority of abortion-seekers. There being no evidence that this practice is commonplace, using it as an argument against easy access to abortion is also victim-blaming.
It is also highly hypocritical when used by people who have advocated against proper sex education and against making contraception as easily and widely available as possible, many of whom also identify as pro-life.
- Action Canada: a pretty good list, with well-written explanations
- MYTH: People use abortion as a means of birth control / people won’t bother with contraception if abortion is easily available.
- MYTH: People have abortions for frivolous reasons.
- Bronx Abortion
- Myth: Women use abortion as a method of birth control.
- MYTH: Women have abortions for selfish or frivolous reasons.
- 2017-01-17 Abortion shouldn’t be used as birth control: repeats the myth, building solely from one example
- 2016-02-04 Abortion as Birth Control: discussion of one reader's anecdotal evidence
- 2014-01-27 Meet the Wingnut Candidate: Susanne Atanus (by Ed Brayton) «"Abortions should not be used for birth control," she said during an endorsement session...»
- 2013-02-25 Dear Politicians: There Is No Such Thing As a "Recreational Abortion" "As someone who has had a dilation and curettage (D&C), I can firmly state that whatever the circumstances, it was by no means “fun,” a term most people would be inclined to associate with “recreational activities.”"
- 2010-02-13 Sure, it's legal, but is recreational abortion immoral?: "And at the very end of the pregnancy, they get partial-birth abortions. Meanwhile they take dozens of grizzly photographs of the procedure along with the dead fetus and then send them to the man's house. Lastly they send a letter and several pieces of evidence to the wife to document the husband's infidelity and ruin his marriage."
- 2009-08-16 Elective Recreational Abortion: IS in Obama's Government Health Care Rationing Bill: Forced Taxpayer-Funded Entitlement: claims that abortion is covered by a bill Obama supported (possibly Obamacare?)
- 2007-12-30 Learning Dutch lessons on teen pregnancy
- 2004-09-15 Recreational-Abortion Enthusiasts Applaud Repeal Of Partial-Birth Ban: brief satire describing viewpoint of mythical "abortion enthusiasts"