Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page is about stains on America's honor. Those who either care about America or who claim to represent America's interests must learn from these lessons and prevent the mistakes of the past from being repeated.
- two centuries of slavery
- a further century of apartheid (Jim Crow laws, separate but equal...)
- internment of Japanese-descended American citizens during World War II
- the round-up was apparently aided by confidential census information
- the genocide of the American Indians
- George H.W. Bush urging Iraqi Shiites to rise up against Saddam Hussein with the promise that we were "on our way" and would protect them, and then backing off – thus allowing Saddam to murder almost a million of his own people (while our own General Schwarzkopf pleaded for just 12 more hours to reach Basra) 
- "There is another way for the bloodshed to stop: And that is, for the Iraqi military and the Iraqi people to take matters into their own hands and force Saddam Hussein, the dictator, to step aside and then comply with the United Nations' resolutions and rejoin the family of peace-loving nations." -- GHWB, 1991-02-15, on the Voice of America; sources: CNN, here, here, here, here, and Wikipedia but mysteriously missing from the George (H.W.) Bush Presidential Library archives for Feb. 1991 (a search for "Voice of America" also does not find it).
- further reading: The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk Amazon (unchecked; submitted by 3rd party)
- 1954: 1954 Guatemalan coup d'état "a covert operation carried out by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) that deposed the democratically elected Guatemalan President Jacobo Árbenz and ended the Guatemalan Revolution of 1944–1954. Code-named Operation PBSUCCESS, it installed the military dictatorship of Carlos Castillo Armas, the first in a series of U.S.-backed authoritarian rulers in Guatemala."
- 1953: Overthrowing the democratically-elected leader of Iran, Mohammed Mosaddeq (or Mosaddegh or Mossadegh), and replacing him with a compliant monarch (the Shah), because we wanted more control over Iranian oil
- 2013-04-18 The Boston Bombing and Self-Awareness
To Be Researched
- starting two wars with Mexico
- Spanish-American war
- conquest of the Philippines
- conquest of the Sandwich Islands
- training the Savak
- overthrowing the Arbenz government
- overthrowing the Allende government
- killing three million Vietnamese (see Vietnam War)
- supplying the PKI's membership list to our new puppet government so that a half million Indonesians could be killed
- supplying the Indonesian government weapons so that they could invade and terrorize East-Timor for twenty years
- training death squads and torturers at the School of the Americas (now renamed)
- financing and training the Contras in Nicaragua
- financing and training the death squads in El Salvador
- overthrowing the Aristide government - twice
- attempting to overthrow the Chavez government (Venezuela)
- FROM WOUNDED KNEE TO IRAQ: A CENTURY OF U.S. MILITARY INTERVENTIONS by Dr. Zoltan Grossman: not all of these were dishonorable, but certainly many of them were -- and all probably qualify as American "chickens coming home to roost"
- 2016-08-28 Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know: The National Anthem Is a Celebration of Slavery (via)
- 2008-08-14 The Great California Genocide
- 2014-04-08 [L..T] America's Coup Machine: Destroying Democracy Since 1953