- 1953 - 1953 Iranian coup d'état: The administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower in the United States and Britain removed the democratically-elected government of Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh and his cabinet from power, and replaced it with a monarchy. The coup was carried out in a covert operation by Britain and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), codenamed Operation Ajax. The coup installed Mohammad Reza Pahlavi in power in an attempt to preserve Western control of Iran's oil infrastructure.
- Operation Ajax at 9-11 Review
- 2014-03-02 [L..T] Obama pushes Israel to stop assassinations of Iran nuclear scientists President Barack Obama is pressuring Israel to stop carrying out assassinations of top nuclear scientists in Iran as the Islamic Republic continues its negotiations with world powers over its uranium enrichment program, according to a new book.
- 2008-11-19 [Talk|Index] Iran blocks access to more than five million websites § “Iran has blocked access to more than five million internet sites, whose content is mostly perceived as immoral and anti-social, a judiciary official was has said.”
- 2008-07-03 [Talk|Index] Bloggers And Blasphemy: Iran May Update An Outdated – And Outrageous – Law § “Nearly 55 years have elapsed since an American was executed for a crime that did not involve murder. However, just yesterday, the Iranian parliament opened debate on a bill mandating .. capital punishment for the crime of blogging about apostasy. ... Under Iranian law, rape, armed robbery and apostasy (the leaving of one's religion) are already punishable by death. However, if this new law passes, the act of using the internet to promote apostasy will also become a capital offense.”
- 2008-05-01 [Talk|Index] Iran Opens War Avoidance Flank § “As threats of military action against Iran continue to issue from various spokesmen of the war party in the U.S., the Islamic Republic has launched an ambitious initiative aimed at preventing war, based on a comprehensive package of economic, political and security measures on a vast regional plane. The package includes proposals to settle remaining questions related to Iran's nuclear energy program, but is not limited to that. ... Jalili declared that his government was presenting the Russian delegation a package of proposals aimed at solving the problems of the world. "The package is about the great questions of the world," he said, "and the nuclear question could be the subject of discussion." While declining to give details, he added, "We spoke in detail with our Russian friend and we explained our vision. Our approach could be a good basis for negotiation between the influential powers of the world," according to AFP.” The article seems to be interpreting this event as an Iranian overture to an alliance with Russia so that Iran will have Russia's help if the US attacks (or, possibly, to convince the US not to attack because of the threat of retaliation from former superpower Russia). As the US's own forces are currently in a bad way, this would be a serious threat.
- 2008-02-16 [Talk|Index] Danish lawmakers refuse to apologize, cancel trip to Iran § “A group of Danish lawmakers has canceled a trip to Iran because Tehran demanded they condemn the reprinting of Prophet Muhammad cartoons in newspapers, a spokeswoman said Saturday.”
- 2007-03-05 [Talk|Index] The Redirection § by Seymour M. Hersh: “Is the Administration’s new policy benefitting our enemies in the war on terrorism?” Points out that the Iraq War benefits Iran, but seems to assume that nobody could have foreseen this -- when it was in fact predicted by David Brin (and possibly others), who suggested at the time that this fact should be used to obtain concessions from Iran thus making the present situation less likely. The fact that this was not done adds to the case that the Bush administration is actually looking for excuses to go to war rather than trying to prevent it.
- 2007-08-13 Iran authorities lash man for having bible in car - report
- 2007-07-12 Kucinich Iran stance outrages Ohio Jewish leaders: "Dennis Kucinich, the colorful Cleveland congressman and longshot presidential candidate, has outraged Jewish leaders in Northeast Ohio by insisting that Iran's anti-Zionist leader is not seeking to exterminate Israel."
- 2007-03-08 Notice: Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Iran: "On March 15, 1995, by Executive Order 12957, the President declared a national emergency with respect to Iran pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701-1706) to deal with the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States constituted by the actions and policies of the Government of Iran. ... Because the actions and policies of the Government of Iran continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States, the national emergency declared on March 15, 1995, must continue in effect beyond March 15, 2007."
- 2007-03-24 Iran Reading List at World Affairs Board Military, Defense, and Political Forum