(Redirected from American totalitarianism)
- Bush's elevation of presidential powers
- Bush II administration torture
- Military Commissions Act of 2006
- National Security and Homeland Security Presidential Directive
- Blackwater USA
- 2009-05-13 [Talk|Index] Comics artist Mark Sable detained for ''Unthinkable'' acts § “comics writer Mark Sable was detained by TSA security guards at Los Angeles International Airport ... because he was carrying a script for a new issue of his comic miniseries Unthinkable” in which “a writer was tasked [by the government] to design worst-case terror scenarios” which later “come true, and he becomes a suspect in the terrorist attacks.” Irony, anyone?
- 2008-10-23 [Talk|Index] Homeland Security Assuming Broad Powers, Turning Vast Swaths of U.S. into â€œConstitution-Free Zoneâ€ § “The government says that "the border" â€” where there is a longstanding view that the Constitution does not fully apply â€” actually stretches 100 miles inland from the nationâ€™s "external boundary."”
- 2008-09-18 [Talk|Index] Media Coverage on the Arrest of Amy Goodman and Two Democracy Now! Producers §
- 2008-09-03 [Talk|Index] Terrorism charges lodged against protesters at GOP convention §
- 2008-06-11 [Talk|Index] 9/11, Deep State Violence and the Hope of Internet Politics § “But social thought is socially fashioned. For it to be effective it must be mobilized, and become more than a chorus of bloggers croaking from our backwater lilypads in the blogomarsh. Clearly it would take a strenuous concerted effort to create or persuade a movement, such as MoveOn, to take on all these issues. .. Is it possible that some organization can be persuaded to accept this challenge, and take the first steps in mobilizing such a force?” This sounds about as clear a call for InstaGov, or something like it, as one could imagine.
- 2007-11-28 [Talk|Index] Obama Scoffs at Clinton War Claim § “The issue of mandates for health care has driven the debate between Clinton and Obama for the past few weeks. Obama says he would enforce his mandate for health care for all children by fining parents if they refused to allow health care coverage for their children. .. "I am happy to be very clear how we enforce mandates for children, and the reason is because children don't have an option."” Jon Ham and other right-wingers  see this as being rather totalitarian, and a comment poster sees this as hypocrisy given the left's views on abortion (Obama presumably representing the left since he's a democrat). Did he actually say this? It seems inconsistent, and a search did not turn up any confirmation that the quote is accurate; this link appears to be the source of all the quotes. There doesn't seem to be anything in Obama's health plan about punishing parents for not signing their kids up, and it specifically says that clients would be able to choose whether or not to stay on their old plan. This page says "Like many other issues, Senator Clinton still refuses to tell the American people exactly how she will penalize them when they can't afford to purchase health insurance,' said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.", which implies heavily that Obama's plan does not obligate anyone to make that purchase.