- a hypothetical society in which marketist (i.e. US libertarian) ideas are taken to their logical conclusion
- any actual society or group which has substantially adopted (or was founded upon) such principles
- any populated area of the world that has been essentially free of government for a substantial length of time
The second definition tends to be sarcastic, since such societies invariably degenerate into corrupt hell-holes – despite frequent marketist claims that such principles will inevitably lead to a happier, more egalitarian and economically just society.
- 2002-01-01 A Libertarian Visits Guatemala: apparently they like it
- /Honduras " the highest murder rate in the world. No Social Security. No Medicare--in fact no health care at all for the masses--except prayer. Everything is owned by a tiny elite. They had a progressive president who tried to reform the rotten system, but a military coup sponsored by the elite deposed him in 2009."
- New Hampshire: the Free State Project
- Slab City: "a snowbird campsite in the Sonoran Desert 156 miles northeast of San Diego California, used by recreational vehicle owners and squatters from across North America" [W]
- /Zomia (Wikipedia)