The phrase recreational abortion appears to refer to abortion necessitated by becoming pregnant from recreational copulation, especially where such pregnancies (and abortions) are done repeatedly because contraceptions are not used.
It is not clear to what extent this represents a real phenomenon, but when sex education is lacking (or abstinence-based, which is essentially the same thing), women may not be aware of the contraceptives available to them. Some communities also place restrictions on contraceptive availability, decreasing the chances that adequate contraception will be used during sex and therefore increasing the chance of an unwanted pregnancy.
To a large extent, "recreational abortion" is nothing more than a troll phrase, since it does nothing to solve the problem (shaming has never been effective at reducing unwanted pregnancies) and draws attention away from genuine solutions (mainly proper sex education, raising educational levels in general, and empowering women to make their own decisions via legal equality (reducing gender inequity)).
- 2013-02-25 Dear Politicians: There Is No Such Thing As a "Recreational Abortion" "As someone who has had a dilation and curettage (D&C), I can firmly state that whatever the circumstances, it was by no means “fun,” a term most people would be inclined to associate with “recreational activities.”"
- 2010-02-13 Sure, it's legal, but is recreational abortion immoral?: "And at the very end of the pregnancy, they get partial-birth abortions. Meanwhile they take dozens of grizzly photographs of the procedure along with the dead fetus and then send them to the man's house. Lastly they send a letter and several pieces of evidence to the wife to document the husband's infidelity and ruin his marriage."
- 2009-08-16 http://politicalvelcraft.org/2009/08/16/abortion-is-in-obamas-government-health-care-rationing--Funded Entitlement: claims that abortion is covered by a bill Obama supported (possibly Obamacare?)
- 2007-12-30 Learning Dutch lessons on teen pregnancy
- 2004-09-15 Recreational-Abortion Enthusiasts Applaud Repeal Of Partial-Birth Ban: brief satire describing viewpoint of mythical "abortion enthusiasts"