Jump to navigation Jump to search
Transgenderness, sometimes also called "trangenderism", is the quality of being transgender, i.e. identifying one's gender in a way that is different from how one was identified at birth.
It is also a social phenomenon in that:
- a significant percentage of humans are transgender, and
- this fact has only begun to be popularly and legally recognized within the past few decades, and
- transgender (aka "trans") people therefore tend to be socially marginalized and disempowered
- bigotry (usually driven by fearmongery) tends to focus on any marginalized group.
- TERFism is a reactionary gender essentialist ideology targeting trans people while masquerading as feminism.
- Transmisia is bigotry against trans people.
- Truscum are people who insist on a binary and interventionist definition of "transgender"
- Rates of violence against women vs. trans
- Conservapedia wants us to know that "61-98% of young people outgrow their gender confusion if allowed to progress naturally." (This is unlikely to be true.)
- Social Justice Wiki
- 2014-05-26 [L..T] Exclusive: Transgender travelers singled out in TSA screenings, docs show "Department of Homeland Security documents obtained last month reveal details of incidents in which transgender travelers were subjected to heightened scrutiny when passing through airport security checkpoints."
- 2011-02-22 [L..T] Long-Term Follow-Up of Transsexual Persons Undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery: Cohort Study in Sweden Conclusions: “Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.”