(Redirected from Muslim)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Islam is one of the three major Abrahamic religions [W], sharing much of its mythology with Christian and Jewish scripture (the former of which uses the latter essentially as a starting point) and specifically mentioning the Christian mythical martyr Jesus Christ in at least one of its scriptural works (inscriptions on the Dome of the Rock [W]).
Believers in Islam are known as "Muslims".
main articles: /violence (by and against), /terrorism (by)
Like any major religion, Islam has a long history of violent extremism. There is similarly a long history of Western violence against Muslims.
- 2006 Muhammad image riots
- Charlie Hebdo/Islam
- Islamic cultural invasion: a phantom menace widely claimed by the political right in the global West
- Islamofascism is the use of Islam as a cover for fascism.
- /offense: Islamists taking offense at things
- /retaliation against: nonviolent (but unreasonable) retaliation against Muslims
- /sympathy: Muslims expressing sympathy against Islamist extremism
- /terrorism: terrorism by Muslims
- /violence: violence against or by Muslims
- 2014/04/07 [L..T] Not Your Tragic Queer Muslim Story
- 2014/04/01 [L..T] Retrogressive mindset: Abolition of Council of Islamic Ideology sought
- 2014/03/22 [L..T] Troupe of topless Femen protesters get dragged kicking and screaming out of Berlin's Islamic Week meeting after covering themselves in anti-Islam messages "The Berlin Islam Week event, held in one of the city's town halls, was stopped in its tracks by members of extreme protest group Femen, who charged into the hall with slogans attacking 'religious oppression' and Sharia law daubed on their bodies."
- 2014/03/12 [L..T] Marital matters: Underage marriage [Nikkah] not un-Islamic: CII
- 2014/01/21 [L..T] Senator questions Council of Islamic Ideology "Senator Farhatullah Babar on Monday questioned recent pronouncements of the Council of Islamic Ideology and asked if the council was a legal entity even after having submitted its final report to parliament in 1997 as required under the constitution."
- WikiIslam: "focuses on the critique of Islam, whilst also allowing pro-Islamic responses in separate articles"
- Islam: The Religion of Peace (and a big stack of dead bodies): anti-Islam site
- Faith Freedom International "a grassroots movement of ex-Muslims. Its goals are to (a) unmask Islam and show that it is an imperialistic ideology akin to Nazism but disguised as religion and (b) to help Muslims leave it, end this culture of hate caused by their "us" vs. "them" ethos and embrace the human race in amity. We strive for the unity of Mankind through the elimination of Islam, the most insidious doctrine of hate." "This site is blocked in Islamic countries. Find a proxy in Google or in proxy.org to access it."
- Jihad Watch: "...the West is facing a concerted effort by Islamic jihadists, the motives and goals of whom are largely ignored by the Western media, to destroy the West and bring it forcibly into the Islamic world..."
- Muslims Out of Australia!: Snopes confirms that the Australian government did in fact make statements that Sharia law would not be recognized, and that Muslims wishing to follow it should go elsewhere
- 2006-09-15 I support the Pope by Michelle Malkin
- 2006-02-16 Who Are the Moderate Muslims? by Sam Harris (with comments)
- 2006-02-08 Sam Harris on the Reality of Islam by Sam Harris (with comments)
- 2006-10-12 Two types of veiling by David Shariatmadari: "Do veils oppress or liberate? It depends on why you're wearing one"
- The Historic Contributions of Islam "My point is that Islam has stifled a culture, benighted a large region of the world, and quelled an entire people into a rerun of the dark ages. It has done this by successfully smothering freedom, repressing new thoughts and ideas and quelling all individuality. It has effectively prevented a large portion of the world from seeing any forward progress for over half a millennium. ... This is reminiscent of the way in which the Catholic faith inhibited science during its early years."
- 2007-03-16 video The trouble with Islam: humorous commentary by Pat Condell
- 2006-02-24 Islam: A Declaration Of European Muslims: affirms European Muslim support of "(a) the rule of law; (b) principles of tolerance; (c) values of democracy and human rights; (d) the belief that each and every human being has the right to five essential values: the value of life, the value of faith, the value of freedom, the value of property, and the value of dignity." but does not give any sense of repudiation of various terrorist acts (9/11 et sequelae) done in the name of Islam
- 2007-08-24 Many Won't Run Next Two 'Opus' Strips With Sex Joke, Islam Reference: "Berkeley Breathed's Aug. 26 and Sept. 2 strips -- which comprise sort of a two-part series -- show the Lola Granola character wanting to become an Islamic radicalist (and wear traditional Muslim clothing) because it's a 'hot new fad on the planet.' Content also includes what Shearer described as 'a sex joke a little stronger than we normally see.'"
- 2007-04-22 Furor over author Ayaan Hirsi Ali's visit stirs debate on religious freedom alt: apparently the appropriate Muslim response to someone who says things which 'are "poisonous and unjustified" and create dissension in their community' is to prevent that person from talking – even in the United States, where the right to speak freely is guaranteed by the Constitution. The Muslims are civilized, however, and won't insist that Ms. Ali be executed on US soil for renouncing Islam.
- 2007-04-02 Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims by Laura Clark
- 2007-02-23 Pakistani minister assassinated for not wearing veil
- 2006-12-06 Imams: we want to hit US Airways "where it hurts, the pocketbook"
- 2006-11-17 Dutch seek ban on burqas in public
- Islamists Hate Sweden's New Integration Minister
- Top Tory says No place for Sharia law in the UK
- Message to Islamists: Don't Tread on Me By H. W. Crocker III: raises some valid points, but reiterates the fallacy that liberals are against American empire-building and makes no mention of the unnecessary abuses which took place under British rule. This does not negate the article's central point; hopefully, America's version of "empire" would be more transparent and fair (Britain was, at the time, a monarchy) – but since 2002 or so, we've been going in the wrong direction to be able to claim this hope as a likelihood.
- 2006-07-16 Islamists shoot World Cup viewers in Somalia — Soccer Watching is Now a Crime